Improving Glasshoughton make it a treble success

Josh Morley, scorer for Glasshoughton Welfare. Picture: Simon Hall
Josh Morley, scorer for Glasshoughton Welfare. Picture: Simon Hall

Glasshoughton Welfare made it three wins on the spin with a superb 3-2 success away to Hallam on Tuesday night.

They were ahead in the first minute with a contender for goal of the season as Del Pollock struck with a long range thunderbolt shot.

Hallam pulled a goal back on 41 minutes, but after Andy Seed and Ryan Poskitt hit shots just wide Welfare restored the lead with a Jack Owen penalty.

The first half ended with a brawl between most of the players, however, and captain Jimmy Williams was sent off.

Welfare conceded again on 55 minutes when a long throw was not cleared and the ball was drilled in by Steve Brammer. But 10 minutes later they came up with a winner as Poskitt smashed home after great work by Owen.

‘Houghton survived a penalty as Brammer missed, but deserved their win and could have added more goals.

Glasshoughton made it back to back Toolstation NCE Division One wins for the first time this season last Saturday when they beat Grimsby Borough 3-0.

It was the inspired second half substitutions made by new joint managers Simon Houghton and Craig Wilkinson’s that played a key part in a terrific victory achieved with 10 men last Saturday.

Despite having Andy Seed sent off within the first minute, second half substitute Josh Morley scored one goal and another sub, Tom Carr, contributed to two.

This was a good solid performance from the Welfare side and the managers must be pleased with the team spirit shown before, within, and after the games now.

Pleasing also for the managers was the performance of under pressure goalkeeper Jordan Watson who saved a penalty and with other saves looked far more confident.

With the game less than a minute old Welfare were shocked when Seed was dismissed by referee Stuart Royston for a tackle on Boro’s Matthew Kennedy despite the player appearing to connect with the ball before Kennedy. Even the Grimsby bench sportingly commented that the tackle only warranted a caution at most.

Welfare looked disjointed after this although a great cross from Del Pollock was just about cut out with Luke Durham and new striker Jack Owen waiting to pounce.

Grimsby were awarded a controversial penalty on the half-hour, but the spot kick by Danny Stevens was kept out by the legs of Watson.

Just after this Watson made a great block with his feet to stop his side falling behind. Jamie Coulson then hooked the ball just wide for the visitors but at the other end Del Pollock shot just wide.

Two minutes before half-time Pollock opened the scoring for Welfare when he ran onto a long through ball from Mike Brearley and slotted past Scott Drury.

At the break Morley replaced Durham and early on Owen, who was a constant threat with his speed, brought a save from Drury.

Carr replaced Pollock on 54 minutes and made an immediate impact. Great work from Carr and Ryan Poskitt saw a cross to the far post headed home by Owen much to the delight of the home fans.

Grimsby tried to come back with a number of shots hit wide and then after Watson punched a free-kick out the keeper spread himself well to deny a goal scoring chance.

As the game neared its end Morley shot just wide then his 20-yard volley was brilliantly pushed over by Drury.

Morley was not to be denied, however. On 88 minutes good work on the right between Carr and Owen saw the former pass across the area and Morley hit the ball past Drury from 15 yards.

After the game a delighted Craig Wilkinson said: “This was a fantastic effort from our boys. To play 89 minutes with 10 men and win 3-0 is outstanding.

“The squad is coming together now, everyone is enjoying it and this showed with the team spirit amongst all of the players.”

This Saturday Welfare travel to play Hall Road Rangers (3pm) while next Tuesday they host leaders Hemsworth MW (7.45pm).