In-form Castleford book place in semi-finals

St Joseph's under 15s lost 4-2 to Kippax Athletic in a thrilling game.
St Joseph's under 15s lost 4-2 to Kippax Athletic in a thrilling game.

Castleford Town Cougars under 14s continued their winnning run by beating higher ranked Crofton 5-2 in the Greaves Shield to guarantee a semi final spot.

Fielding a makeshift team due to late absentees, Town made a shaky start and conceded an early goal but soon showed their fighting spirit with good work by Joao Ferrierra.

Ty Bryer fed Jake Hand to slot home before Lewis Hepinstall tap in to put Town ahead.

Crofton made it 2-2 but Town ran out comfoirtable winners.

Hand scored two more in the second half to complete a hat trick and Bryer was on target with a stunning curling shot.

Deighton Coulson was strong at the back in a great all-round team display.

Knottingley under 14s played their penultimate league game against bottom club Snaith and although they were below their best they still won 8-0.

Missed chances and good goalkeeping kept the score to 2-0 at half time.

The second half saw Knottingley score a further six goals to secure a convincing win against a Snaith side who never gave up.

This win set up a league decider against Upton on March 29.

Knottingley’s squad was James Langton, Mitch McHugh, Sam Wright (five goals), Ben Watts (one goal), Josh Powell, Morgan Armit (one goal),Brogan Foster, Owen Greaves, Ty Bryer (one goal), Harry Free, Coby Glew and Zak Wilkinson.

St Joseph’s under 15s lost 4-2 to Kippax Athletic in a thrilling game that featured excellent passing and great attacking play from the Pontefract team.

Unfortunately, St Joseph’s could not capitalise on their efforts. Kippax defended well and their keeper seemed to get his hands to everything.

Jake Finch did well for St Joseph’s in the wide position working well with Oli Burton, Lewis Schofield, Nathan Martlew.

Kippax took the lead but St Joseph’s battled back.

Burton scored from a James Ruby throw in to make it 1-1 at the break.

Kippax regained the lead in the second-half.

St Joseph’s pushed on to try to salvage at least a point but excellent keeping denied Haytack, Gilday and Martlew.

Ruby, who had been outstanding throughout, eventually pulled one back but shortly after Kippax made it 4-2 which was unfortunate as goalkeeper Charlie Oakes had pulled off some fine saves.

Jack Shaw, Adam Stuart, Jake Thomas, Tom Potter and man of the match Haytack all worked tirelessly for St Joseph’s.

Louis Keenan linked up with Will Hill, Burton and Martlew to try to haul St Joseph’s back into the game but time ran out and it was just not their day.