Keightley quick off the mark as Glasshoughton bounce back

Nathan Keightley.
Nathan Keightley.

Glasshoughton Welfare were back on the winning trail on Tuesday night with a 2-0 success at home to Brigg Town in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League.

After defeats in their last two games, Welfare were given a great start as Nathan Keightley scored on five minutes, knocking home Josh Morley’s cross.

The game could have been over before half-time with Callum Harrison and debutant Greg Hunter missing headed chances and Keightley seeing an effort brilliantly saved.

Brigg were the better team in the second half, but Welfare dug in and sealed their win late on when sub Ashley Scothern volleyed home.

Glasshoughton slipped to a controversial 3-2 defeat as they entertained high flying Hallam at Leeds Road on Saturday.

Welfare went into half-time with a one goal advantage courtesy of Connor Glavin. They were pegged back in the second half when Callum Harrison scored an own goal and two controversial refereeing decisions, one of which even had visiting manager Ryan Hiendley laughing, in the final minutes led to Hallam taking all three points.

Welfare, who had 16-year-old Ty Bryer on the bench, opened well with Keightley heading just wide. Adam Hayton tested visiting keeper Dave Darwent twice with shots before they took the lead on 33 minutes. Keightley took the ball into the area and his shot was half saved by Darwent, but the ball fell to Glavin who slotted home.

On the restart Keightley had a shot blocked, but at the other end Simon Mirfin headed a cross just over. Keightley broke through on the right and despite Glavin being unmarked to his left the young striker hit a shot that was saved by Darwent, who then pulled off a fabulous save from Andy McManus.

The visitors equalised on 77 minutes the ball played into the area and inexplicably Harrison hit the ball into his own net.

Four minutes later Welfare regained the lead when the ball was fed to Lewis Akeister on the edge of the area and his low shot beat Darwent into the corner.

But Hallam levelled in controversial fashion. Following a foul, referee Matthew Bacon allowed the advantage for some time only to then bring it back when the visitors lost the ball. The free-kick was then headed in by Jed Philips.

Three minutes from the end Mr Bacon caused uproar among the home contingent as a corner appeared to be wrongly given and from it the ball appeared to strike Mirfin on the edge of the six-yard area before looping over Waring into the net.

Glasshoughton are back on their travels this Saturday when away to Westella & Wellerby (3pm) before they make the short journey to play Pontefract Collieries in a derby game at the Harratts Nissan Stadium next Tuesday night (7.45pm).