Late penalty earns Kellingley first win

Sam Harrison's goal put Featherstone Colliery ahead.
Sam Harrison's goal put Featherstone Colliery ahead.

Kellingley Welfare finally recorded their first win of the season in West Yorkshire League Division One with a 2-1 success at Old Headingley.

Welfare adapted to the conditions far better than their opponents.

Nathan Hutchinson’s attempted lob just failed to beat the keeper and a good strike from Rob Anderson was well saved.

Welfare’s tactics to stifle the hosts midfield clearly worked with Headingley having very few chances to trouble the backline of Ian Gordon, John Wilson, Rich Whaley and Brett Smith.

Kells suffered a blow on 15 minutes when they lost midfielder Kris Sleight but Tom Passmore, who came off the bench to make his first appearance for five months, proved a more than adequate replacement.

After a scoreless first-half, Kellingley again looked the better side.

When Headingley forced several corners, goalkeeper Shaun Russell made some smart saves.

Headingley then took the lead against the run of play but Kells refused to let their heads drop and twice went close.

When Headingley’s centre back was sent off, Kellingley seized the initiative.

Anderson equalised with a curling free-kick.

Two minutes from time, Jordan Hutchinson, who had been a constant menace all afternoon, won a penalty which he converted himself to earn Welfare victory.

It was a superb Kellingley display with all 13 players on duty giving 100 per cent effort.

Hutchinson won the Monkhill Sandwiches-sponsored MOM award.

Featherstone Colliery’s poor run continued in Division One with a 5-2 home defeat against Sherburn White Rose after they led 2-0 at half-time.

None of Featherstone’s injured players were back but striker Andy Burton made himself available.

Featherstone went ahead after 15 minutes when a great move involving Ash Ellam, Burton and Johnny Carr saw Sam Harrison score.

Harrison then joined Colliery’s injury list and it wasn’t until the last 10 minutes of the half that Sherburn threatened with goalie Aidie Joynson foiling them with three good saves.

Shortly before half-time, Burton latched onto Scott Ellam’s pass to put Colliery 2-0 up.

Sherburn started the second-half strongly and got a goal back. Burton then had to come off and Featherstone soon conceded a second.

With Featherstone’s backline under increasing pressure, the home side capitulated in the last 10 minutes, conceding three more goalsd.

Colliery let their heads go down at the end and they will need to respond in Saturday’s home match against Old Headingley which is followed by a midweek district cup semi-final against Carleton South Pontefract.

Glasshoughton Welfare moved back into third place in West Yorkshire League Division Two with a 4-2 home win against Barwick .

First half goals from Lee Grainger, Thomas Nodder, Liam Moore and Jacob Blackett earned a fine win for depleted Welfare.

With normal manager Jon Miles and coach Mark Kellett promoted to take charge of the club first team, reserves assistant coach Garry Mollon took over managerial duties for the first time.

Mollon was delighted with the gallant effort shown by his players.

Mollon had a many problems with his first ever selection. Missing from last week’s game were Matt Cressey, Dale Somerville and Liam Kellett who were called up for first team duty. Mark Penny was working and youngster Matt Ashton was injured. Matt Bell and Nodder returned but Mollon had to sign former player Andy Gibbons and Jack Pickerill just before kick off in order to have 12 players available.

Despite the selection problems, Wefare’s players were in determined mood.

Goalkeeper Smith was confident throughout and the defence of Richie Staton, man of the match Adam Walsh, Matt Bell, and Colan Leung supported each other superbly.