O’Dea’s late volley lifts Leeds United

Darren O'Dea, who scored an injury-time winner for Leeds United at Peterborough.
Darren O'Dea, who scored an injury-time winner for Leeds United at Peterborough.
Share this article

AFTER seeing his side concede in the last seconds to miss out on two points in midweek Leeds United manager Simon Grayson was delighted to see the team benefit from the latest of strikes to come away from Peterborough with a big win on Saturday.

Darren O’Dea’s well struck volley in the fifth minute of injury-time – after the board had gone up for just four minutes of added time – clinched a 3-2 victory and went a long way to making up for the costly mistake in the previous game against Coventry.

The game was not without its controversy with Peterborough having a player shown a straight red card by referee Keith Stroud, but Grayson backed the official as well as praising his players for their performance and determination.

He said: “I think it was a red card. I’ve seen it, the lad jumped in and if it had have been one of my players I would have thought it was a red card.

“I’m sure he’s not a malicious but he left himself open to it. I think it was the right decision.

“I suppose people will say ‘it’s a minimum of four minutes’ and we conceded a goal against Coventry in exactly the same circumstances. It’s the way football goes.

“This is a difficult place to come to, but we’ve shown the quality we have all season. It’s not easy here and I’m delighted with how we played and the quality we showed.”

In-form striker Andy Keogh gave Leeds a flying start with a superb volley on the turn from the edge of the box after combining with striker partner Ross McCormack.

Peterborough equalised when Gabriel Zakuani headed home Grant McCann’s corner, but they went down to 10 men when Lee Tomlin was shown a red card for a lunge on Keogh that left the Leeds striker needing treatment.

The visitors then took advantage of their extra man and deservedly went 2-1 ahead visitors early in the second half after another excellent strike, this time from midfielder Adam Clayton as he was teed up on the edge of the box by Lloyd Sam.

Leeds looked to be cruising to their second successive away win only for the hosts to hit back out of the blue in the 88th minute as Jonny Howson and O’Dea jumped into each other on the edge of the box and in the ensuing scramble as the ball bounced Mark Little got there first to poke the ball into the net.

However, after conceding a last minute goal in midweek to be denied two points it was Leeds’ turn to come up with a late winner when O’Dea fired a volley in off the crossbar with Luciano Becchio following up to make sure the ball went over the line.

Moments earlier defender O’Dea had escaped with a yellow card after bringing down David Ball 30 yards from goal and the decision incensed Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson, But Leeds had deserved their win, which lifted them back up into the top six in the Npower Championship.

Match facts

Peterborough United 2

(Zakuani 23, Little 88)

Leeds United 3

(Keogh 4, Clayton 54, O’Dea 90)

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Npower Championship

Att: 12,880

Peterborough: Jones, Little, Bennett, Zakuani, Alcock (Tunnicliffe 45), McCann, Rowe, Frecklington (Ball 77), Tomlin, Boyd, Sinclair (Taylor 55).

Leeds: Rachubka, Connolly, Lees, O’Dea, White, Howson, Vayrynen (Sam 48), Clayton, Pugh, McCormack (Nunez 82), Keogh (Becchio 89).

Referee: Keith Stroud.