Mixed fortunes for Glasshoughton Welfare teams

Blaine Kellett
Blaine Kellett

A woeful display saw Glasshoughton Welfare surrender easy points to Long Eaton United as they lost 3-0 in the Toolstation NCE League.

Long Eaton, looking the sharper throughout, almost went into an early lead, Ben Watkiss driving a great opportunity well wide before home keeper Paul Hagreen was called upon to snatch the ball off the toes of striker Corey Grantham .

Despite the inclusion of debut centre-back Luke McCrum, Welfare appeared all at sea and the visitors went ahead on the 18th minute as Jan Yoemans’ ball left Shaun Rickford the easiest of tap-ins.

Welfare continued under pressure and Alex Low cleared off the goal-line before Rickford lifted an easy chance over.

In the second half Long Eaton stayed on top and went further ahead when Rickford netted again.

Although Welfare gave a lot of effort they failed to make use of the pace of striker Hilliaro Serreoa and it was no surprise when the visitors netted again, Corey Grantham being left unmarked at the far post.

Welfare continued to give their all, but a lack lustre attack failed to trouble visiting keeper Joe McCormick.

This Saturday Glasshoughton travel to play Retford United (kick-off 3pm).

Glasshoughton Welfare’s West Yorkshire League side enjoyed better fortunes, getting back to winning ways in beating Barwick 7-4.

Lee Grainger hit a hat-trick and there were two goals each from Tom Nodder and Blaine Kellett to see Welfare home and lift them back into third place in Division Two.

Welfare were ahead after only five seconds. Straight from the kick-off the ball was passed to Blaine Kellett on the half-way line and he launched it towards the home goal where it sailed past keeper Jordan Rossendale into the net.

A second followed a minute later when Jacob Blackett ran on goal and his pass into the area saw Grainger slot home.

After several near misses, Nodder made it 3-0 after getting on the end of Blackett’s pass and three minutes later Nodder turned provider along with Ritchie Staton to set up Grainger. Although Barwick pulled a goal back it was 4-1 at the break.

Barwick started the second half well and made it 4-3, but Welfare came back and Grainger completed his hat-trick from Mark Penney’s pass.

Barwick struck again before Welfare finally made sure of the points with further goals by Nodder and Kellett from the penalty spot after 17-year-old substitute Matty Jenkins was crudely brought down in the area.