Mixed results for Glasshoughton Welfare

Glasshoughton Welfare's Phil Lindley attempts a header on goal against Lincoln Moorlands Railway.
Glasshoughton Welfare's Phil Lindley attempts a header on goal against Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Glasshoughton Welfare suffered a second half collapse as they lost 5-1 at Yorkshire Amateur in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League on Tuesday night.

Yorkshire Amateur, who started the game two points behind Welfare, only led 1-0 at the break with a goal from Harrison Blakey.

Joel Hughes doubled their advantage five minutes into the second half, but when Danny Cawley hit back within three minutes it looked like Welfare were well in the match.

However, it was the Ammas who kicked on with Thomas Rose netting on the hour and Hughes on target again five minutes later. Dan Sheriffe’s late addition rubbed salt into the wound for Welfare.

Glasshoughton were in winning form on Saturday when they beat Lincoln Moorlands Railway 3-2 at home.

Centre-half Leon Cusworth put Welfare ahead on 28 minutes with a back header from Carr’s long throw and Lincoln keeper Craig Turner under pressure from Del Pollock and a Lincoln defender could only punch the ball into the net.

Pollock should have increased the lead minutes later when clean through on the right, but he scuffed his shot wide with only the keeper to beat.

Glasshoughton were having to play Jamie Williams in goal due to the unavailability of both keepers and on 37 minutes Moorlands equalised as Ward broke clear down the right and his shot was blocked by Williams only for the rebound to fall to Sam Triffits, who despite Forsyth’s attempt to block levelled the scores.

Houghton opened the second half on attack as Palfrey lobbed over the keeper only to be ruled offside,

But on 60 minutes the same player’s run across the by-line was finished with a shot into the far corner.

Williams came to Houghton’s rescue with two outstanding saves, first to stop Triffits’ cross-shot and then with a fine reflex save to smother Ward’s shot.

The hosts had a great chance to increase their lead when Palfrey was brought down in the area, but he blasted the spot-kick wide.

Minutes later Palfrey again missed a golden opportunity when from Ryan Smith’s cross at the far post he shot over the crossbar from six yards.

Houghton appeared to make the game safe on 83 minutes when after a fine move between Thomas Coyles, Phil Lindley and Regan Fish. Coyles found Ryan Smith who from the edge of the area blasted a low shot past Turner.

With the game into added time Lincoln pulled a goal back when poor marking from a corner saw Leigh Warman at the far post have a free header from six yards.

Glasshoughton are now away to Selby Town this Saturday (3pm).