No joy for Ponte Colls and Glasshoughton in Vase

Pontefract Collieries' Andy Catton.
Pontefract Collieries' Andy Catton.

Pontefract Collieries and Glasshoughton Welfare crashed out of the FA Carlsberg Vase at the first qualifying round at the weekend.

Colls were involved in a thrilling tie at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic, but lost out 3-2 with the winning goal coming in the last minute of extra-time.

In a game played on Sunday because the hosts’ ground also stages cricket, Ponte found themselves behind to a 17th minute Brad Kerr goal.

They hit back in the second half through Andy Catton only to go behind again when Danny Cawley netted for Worsbrough seven minutes from time.

To their credit, Colls kept going and responded with a second Catton goal that forced the tie into extra-time. However, they were knocked out as Mark Kokot came up with a winner for the home team in the 119th minute.

Glasshoughton were unceremoniously dumped out of the Vase as they lost 11-0 to in-form Runcorn Town, who came up with a sizzling display the visitors had no answer to.

Town got the dream start that they wanted, Paul Shanley breaking clear after only six minutes to side foot home.

Following a number of early saves visiting keeper Josh Archer was unable to prevent Town going further ahead on the quarter hour mark when Mark Keddie met a Mark Potter cross to sweep home and Welfare’s woes were added to when from a free kick on the edge of the area Potter powered home.

Unbelievably Archer was bringing off a number of excellent saves and was fortunate when Houghton blasted a Sharney cross high and wide with the goal at his mercy.

Welfare’s first and perhaps only clear chance came when Danny Barrett tested home keeper Priestley, but Town were looking increasingly dangerous every occasion they attacked and Archer was the busiest man on the field.

As the interval approached Potter struck the upright for the hosts before Sean Brean scored from close range and then Town virtually secured the tie when Shanley slotted a through ball past the beleaguered Archer.

From the restart Runcorn were in full control and despite a glaring miss from close range the home men went on to score seemingly at will, Sam Houghton, Potter, Starney, Breen and Jack Irlam (twice) adding to the total with apparent ease.

Welfare did try to compete with valiant efforts from keeper Archer and defender Matt Cressey, but everything appeared to go right for Town.

Glasshoughton will be back in action in the Toolstation NCE Premier League this Saturday when they host Athersley Recs (3pm).

Ponte Colls are away to Teversal in NCE Division One on Saturday and host Rossington Main on Wednesday (7.45pm).

They were also in action in midweek when first half goals from forwards Craig Rouse and Liam Radford secured a 2-0 win at home to Hallam.

The victory came despite the side missing several players, but they produced a much improved display from the previous game and could have won by more with Radford and Rouse denied several times by the keeper, Nigel Danby and Reece Hicks going close and Rouse unlucky with a spectacular volley that crashed against the crossbar.

Striker Kingsley Wetherald has left Pontefract Collieries to re-join neighbours Glasshoughton Welfare.

Wetherald has found his chances of first team football limited mainly to appearances as substitute this year, but remained a firm favourite with players and fans alike.

He previously joined Colls from Welfare and is hoping to become a first team regular back with the Premier Division outfit.