Pollock earns share of spoils for improved Welfare

Kieran Corley, who scored against his former club when on target for Liversedge against Glasshoughton Welfare.
Kieran Corley, who scored against his former club when on target for Liversedge against Glasshoughton Welfare.

Glasshoughton Welfare halted their run of bad defeats with a pleasing improved performance as they came away from Liversedge with a 1-1 draw in the Toolstation NCE Premier Division on Tuesday night.

The home men opened frantically down the slope to exert pressure during which debutant defender T’Nique Fishley showed early promise.

Welfare were relieved to see a shot from Mitch Pearson ricochet wide and as the visitors went on their first sortie Kingsley Weatherald drove wide from a good position.

In an even end to end game both teams were playing some good football with the hosts having the slight edge due to the advantage of the slope. They went ahead when former Welfare player Kieran Corley headed home in a packed goalmouth in the 22nd minute.

Play continued to be even in the second half, but it looked like Welfare would leave empty handed until the 87th minute when a miskick by the home defence was pounced upon by the ever dangerous Del Pollock, who darted through to toe end past home keeper Sam Dobbs, the ball crossing the goal line agonisingly slowly with a number of defenders stretching every sinew to retrieve the situation.

They had a bit of luck at the end, but Welfare deserved their share of the spoils.

Despite home advantage and much effort Welfare were no match for an accomplished high riding Worksop Town as they lost 6-1 on Saturday.

Although they surprisingly made the early probes with Matty Haigh firing just wide the visitors were soon into gear. Fortunately for the hosts they were repeatedly held up through straying offside.

Weatherald raised the hopes of the home men, but again shot wide and Welfare were let of the hook again when Town’s Mitcham Husbands missed a sitter in front of the sticks.

Town were looking increasing dangerous on attack, though, and not surprisingly went ahead. Home keeper Josh Archer saved at full stretch only for Town’s Andre Johnson to react the sharper to nip in and plant into an empty goal to give his side a 22nd minute lead.

Welfare appeared all at sea and when their latest legitimate appeal for offside was turned down by the referee Town’s Tom Elliott virtually walked the ball home on the half hour mark.

But thanks to a couple of classy saves from Archer and a glaring miss by Jake Scott, the hosts went in at the interval only two goals in arrears.

Within minutes of the restart Town opened up the gap further, Scott being left unmarked at a free-kick to head firmly home and after substitute Matt Booth had lifted a chance over, Welfare’s Jimmy Williams made an uncharacteristic error, losing the ball on the edge of the area, allowing Conor Sellars to pounce and fire past the stranded Archer.

Welfare pulled a goal back when Weatherald converted a spot kick, but it was a mere blip in the proceedings as rampant Worksop went on to add to their tally with Johnson adding his second and Booth finally getting on the score sheet in the closing moments.

This Saturday Glasshoughton are back on their travels when they go to Armthorpe Welfare for another league game, kick-off 3pm.