Ponte Colls hoping new boys can help halt slide

Former Glasshoughton Welfare striker Kingsley Wetherald (right), who has rejoined Pontefract Collieries.
Former Glasshoughton Welfare striker Kingsley Wetherald (right), who has rejoined Pontefract Collieries.

Pontefract Collieries boss Craig Parry has taken steps to try to halt his team’s slide down the Toolstation NCE Premier Division by bringing in two players.

Colls suffered their eighth successive defeat when they lost 3-0 at Armthorpe Welfare on Tuesday night and are now in a relegation fight just two points above the bottom two.

Armthorpe were second from bottom coming into the game, but went ahead when Josh Schofield put away a 19th minute penalty.

It stayed 1-0 until late on when two more goals by Schofield in the last four minutes sealed Ponte’s fate.

Colls have boosted their squad by signing former Harrogate Town centre-back Danny Stimpson and striker Kingsley Wetherald, who has rejoined from Winterton Rangers where he scored six goals in eight matches.

Ponte had their scheduled game at Liversedge called off for a waterlogged pitch last Saturday, but were in action last midweek when they pushed title challengers Tadcaster Albion all the way before losing 1-0 to a cruel late goal.

Parry’s men were not given much chance before kick-off following their poor run and with Tadcaster looking to go top of the table. But they more than matched their opponents at times in a highly encouraging display.

They were superb in the first half and could have been ahead in the opening minute as Brad Kerr was only denied by a top drawer save by goalkeeper Gary Stevens who turned the ball onto the crossbar.

Colls defender Paul Sykes came up with two goal-line clearances at the other end to keep out efforts by Nick Black and then Jimmy Beadle, but the hosts were unlucky again when Steve Palfrey’s effort came back off the post.

Home keeper Liam Corbett was called upon to make a crucial save at the end of the first half after Adam Baker got in behind the defence.

Ponte continued to look good for their first point since Parry’s appointment as the permanent manager, but they came under pressure late on.

A terrific double save from Corbett kept the hosts in it as he kept out a shot from former Manchester United midfielder Jonathan Greening with his legs then got up in time to deny Baker from the rebound.

But in the 86th minute the visitors got their winner as Corbett attempted to punch a Greening free-kick clear only for the ball to drop kindly for Baker to smash it home.

Ponte are without a game this Saturday, but are at home to Handsworth Parramore next Wednesday (7.45pm).