Ponte Colls share spoils in six-goal derby thriller

Goal scorer Brent Leister.
Goal scorer Brent Leister.

Pontefract Collieries came away with a share of the points after an entertaining six goal thriller in a local derby at Selby Town in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League.

Previous meetings between the sides have always been keenly contested and Saturday’s game proved no exception.

Neither side has much left to play for this season other than pride and an above mid-table position, but they did their best to make it a well contested derby.

Ponte still have key players missing and youth was the order of the day on the bench and the pitch. Jack Foster was switched from left wing to cover the right-back berth and Nigel Danby made a welcome return to the centre of the defence. Josh Corbett dropped back to left-back replacing Adam Robinson and Kyle Hawthorne resumed his place on the left wing.

There was no Gareth Grant up front as the former Bradford City striker has joined Evo-Stik Premier League side Frickley Athletic.

Both sides started with intent, but it was Ponte who broke the deadlock as Tom Agus dispatched a free-kick into the far bottom corner of the net on nine minutes.

The lead only lasted two minutes as a goal area clearance fell kindly for Luke Hall to bring the scores back level.

Both sides kept pressing with the two big centre forwards for both teams battling with their opposition defenders. It was Selby who gained the advantage when they were awarded a penalty that was put away by Danny Gray.

But back came Colls to level the game up again on 35 minutes as the dangerous Kingsley Wetherald charged through clear on goal and after his rasping shot could only be parried by the Selby keeper the ball fell kindly for Brent Leister to score.

The second half started with the same tempo from both sides and Selby got the early break. Within two minutes Gray, who always seems to enjoy playing against Ponte, popped up again to score his second and make it 3-2.

However, Colls charged back at their hosts and were level again within eight minutes when Wetherald scored the goal of the game. With his back to goal deep in the Selby area he took the ball on his chest, spun to his left and volleyed superbly past the keeper.

Both managers then brought on substitutes to try and make something of the game, with Mark Simpson, Nathan Perks and Semir Ahmed, another under 19s star, coming on for Wetherald, Agus and Leister.

The changes brought chances, but this time it was the turn of the respective goalkeepers to show their skills, both pulling off quality saves to deny clear goal scoring opportunities and ensure the game ended in a draw.

Pontefract were in action last night against Knaresborough Town before they host Clipstone on Saturday and travel to Hallam next Tuesday.