Pontefract climb to third by crushing strugglers Nostell

Jordan Turner's seventh minute strike put Pontefract Collieries ahead in Saturday's 2-2 draw against Knaresborough Town but he was later sent off for a second yellow card.
Jordan Turner's seventh minute strike put Pontefract Collieries ahead in Saturday's 2-2 draw against Knaresborough Town but he was later sent off for a second yellow card.

Pontefract Collieries maintained their promotion challenge in NCEL Division One with Tuesday night’s 5-1 win at Nostell Miners Welfare.

It lifted Pontefract to third place. They are three points adrift of Penistone Church and Grimsby Borough.

Collieries never looked back against bottom team Nostell after making a blistering start with two goals in the first two minutes.

Chris Wood’s first minute strike was swiftly followed by a goal from Chris Jackson that put the visitors 2-0 up.

Kane Reece scored after 19 minutes and added a second nine minutes before half-time to give Pontefract a commanding 4-0 lead.

Nostell improved in the second-half but it wasn’t until the 6oth minute that they had their first effort on target.

Billy Moles wrapped up Pontefract’s empahtic win with a 71st minute goal before Antony Brown got a consolation goal for Nostell five minutes from time.

Colllieries had a settle for a share of the points from Saturday’s home game against promotion rivals Knaresborough Town.

Pontefract’s Jackson had a shot deflected against a post and Wood was foiled by a good save before Jordan Turner put the home side ahead in the seventh minute by squeezing a shot home from a tight angle.

Knaresborough equalised three minutes later when Colin Heath was on target from just inside the penalty area.

Wood was thwarted for a second time by Knaresborough’s keeper Jack Rushworth with a header from Mark Whitehouse’s free-kick.

Turner fired wide and Rushworth saved well with his legs before Collieries were awarded a penalty which was taken by Wood whose effort was saved by Rushworth.

Whitehouse went close again for Collieries before Knaresborough conceded another penalty and this time Wood found the net to put them back ahead.

Turner was then sent off for a second yellow card in the space of three minutes.

Pontefract were denied victory when Ben Cohen scored his first goal for Harrogate five minutes from time.

Pontefract host Worsbrough Bridge Athletic this Saturday.

Glasshoughton Welfare, who were without a match last weekend, return to action by visiting title-chasers Penistone Church this Saturday (3pm).

It will probably be Welfare’s toughest game yet.

Ahead of last night’s (Wednesday) match against Hall Road Rangers, Penistone had not lost at home since January this year.

After a tough few weeks, with two games per week, Welfare’s weekend off was a relief for joint managers Darren Holmes and Lee Vigars with some members of their squad having had to play with niggling injuries.

Next Tuesday night Glasshoughton face another tough fixture when they host AFC Emley at Leeds Road (7.45pm).

In the third round of the West Riding County Cup, Welfare visit high flying Evo-Stik Division One (North) outfit Farsley Celtic.

The game at Farsley’s Throstle Nest ground is scheduled for Tuesday, November 29 (7.45pm).

In the fourth round of the NCEL Cup, Glasshoughton have been drawn away against NCEL Premier Division side Harrogate Railway. The date of the fixture has yet to be arranged.

After their FA Vase second round tie at Gateshead club Dunston UTS was postponed on Saturday and again on Tuesday evening, Hemsworth Miners Welfare return to Premier Division action on Saturday with a trip to Staveley Miners Welfare.

It is followed by a home league game against Maltby Main next Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Meanwhile, the latest NCE League transfers include Tom Coyles’ move from Glasshoughton Welfare to Pontefract Collieries which was completed on Saturday.