Pontefract Collieries aiming to bounce back after 100 per cent home record is ended

Pontefract Collieries will be looking to home comforts as they aim to bounce straight back after their long unbeaten run and winning home run were both ended by Marske United.

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 9:00 am

Colls had not dropped a single point in their BetVictor NPL North West games at their Beechnut Lane ground previously this season and had not tasted defeat anywhere in the league since September, but were edged out 1-0 by promotion rivals Marske.

A single goal in the 28th minute by Curtis Round proved enough to give the visitors all three points and lifted them above Ponte into fifth place on goal difference.

Both have at least three games in hand on the sides occupying the top four places and Colls will be aiming to cut the gap on the leading teams as well as begin another good home run this Saturday when in the second of three consecutive matches at their base they entertain Dunston, who are down in 15th place.

Pontefract Collieries manager Craig Parry.

Craig Parry’s men will be out to do a quick double over their visitors, who they beat 1-0 away at the end of 2019. Ponte are also in action next Tuesday as they begin to play catch-up on the fixtures they had called off with another home game against Clitheroe, who are one place below them in seventh.

In last Saturday’s match, a strong wind made it hard for both sides with chances at a premium in the opening half-hour. An early threat saw home keeper Seb Malkowski out smartly to beat Round to a ball played into the area.

But Malkowski could not prevent Marske from opening the scoring in the 28th minute when a smart ball in behind the Colls defence was not tracked and Round capitalised to find the back of the net.

A couple of free-kicks in dangerous positions came to nothing for Ponte before they fashioned the first real chance with Connor Smythe’s free-kick being headed over by Spencer Clarke.

Colls changed formation for the second half with winger Mikey Dunn put on for centre-back Jameel Ible – and Dunn almost made an instant impact as he picked up the ball down the left and beat his marker only to see his shot go narrowly wide.Ponte went even closer soon after as a corner was tipped onto the bar by keeper Jack Norton.

Further pressure looked set to finally bring reward when Ponte were awarded a penalty for a foul, but they b egan to get the feeling it was not going to be their day when the spot kick was saved by Norton. Both sides pressed hard for another goal, but none was forthcoming.

Pontefract’s second round West Riding County Cup tie at home to Goole was postponed on Tuesday due to a waterlogged pitch.