Poskitt spot on to give Glasshoughton Welfare share of spoils

Glasshoughton Welfare's Ryan Poskitt (right).
Glasshoughton Welfare's Ryan Poskitt (right).

Glasshoughton Welfare earned a deserved share of the points when an injury-time Ryan Poskitt penalty saw them battle back to draw 3-3 at Hallam in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League.

Welfare were under the cosh at times, but a spirited display saw them come back from two goals down to dent the home side’s play-off hopes.

Joint managers Darren Holmes and Lee Vigars rang the changes from the midweek defeat at Worsbrough with Adam Walsh, Mike Brearley, Alex Marsh, and Andy Horbury replacing Gareth Hunter, Matt Cunliffe, Ashley Scothern, and Josh Morley.

On a heavy pitch and playing up the notorious Sandygate slope, Welfare were lucky not to be a goal down in the first minute when Oliver Beaumont hit wide of the gaping goal.

Tom Roebuck saw his shot well pushed over by keeper Jordan Bradshaw who also denied Jake Currie.

Hallam took the lead on 19 minutes when the ball was slipped through to the impressive Kieran Watson who turned a defender before firing home.

The home side came again and Bradshaw was quick off his line to foil Scott Bates. Hallam went two up on 35 minutes when Watson latched onto a ball over and slotted home.

Welfare gained some hope a couple of minutes later when home keeper Jamie Dean flapped at a cross and the loose ball was hit home by Poskitt.

Back came Hallam and just before the break impressive defender Andy McManus saved Welfare with a last ditch tackle to prevent Watson scoring. Adam Hayton hacked the ball off the line from a corner and Jake Currie fired a shot just wide.

The second half opened with Bradshaw making a good save with his feet and then both Horbury and Poskitt had good chances for Welfare, but both scuffed their final shots.

Welfare equalised on 61 minutes as Horbury headed home a lovely chip in by Nathan Keightley. But within two minutes a corner was headed in by Roebuck to restore Hallam’s lead.

The hosts tried to put the game to bed and once again McManus had to be on his toes to foil Watson with a great tackle.

Welfare kept going, though, and came up with their last-gasp equaliser in the fourth minute of added time as Horbury was fouled in the area and Poskitt stepped up to hit the resulting penalty past Dean.

Joint manager Darren Holmes said: “It’s always a game of two halves at Hallam and we rode our luck in the first half, but defended very well with some last ditch tackles. Ryan Poskitt again gave us a fighting chance and going in at half-time at 2-1 we always thought we could get something from the game.

“We pressed well in the second half and moved the ball wide very well with Nathan Keightley and Josh Morley a constant threat. Andy Horbury worked tirelessly and got his rewards with an excellent headed goal. It was a much improved performance from midweek.”

Glasshoughton travel to Hallam again next Wednesday for a League Cup quarter-final (7.45pm), having been reinstated in the competition after Harrogate Railway, who beat them in January, fielded an ineligible player. Before then they are at home to Westella & Willerby in the league on Saturday (3pm).