Progressive keep up pressure at top of table

Fryston's James Dyson is challenge by Castleford's Chris Dobsonn in last Sunday's game. Picture: Matthew Merrick.
Fryston's James Dyson is challenge by Castleford's Chris Dobsonn in last Sunday's game. Picture: Matthew Merrick.

Castleford and District Sunday League Premier Division leaders Fryston made it 12 wins from 13 league games with Sunday’s 5-2 victory at Castleford Town.

Fryston stayed six points clear of closest rivals Ferrybridge Progressive who have two matches in hand.

James Dyson scored a hat-trick of goals as Fryston ran out comfortable winners at Castleford after leading 3-1 at half-time.

Jamie Simpson and Paul Taylor were the other scorers for Fryston who aim to go one better after finishing runners up last season.

Jamie Deal and substitute James Roden were on target for Castleford.

Defending champions Progressive, aiming to lift the league title for a fourth successive season, kept up the pressure on pacesetters Fryston with a 14-1 victory at lowly Nevison Leap.

There was no indication of the goal avalanche to come when the teams were level at 1-1 at the break.

But Progressive showed their class by running riot in the second period as they put their Pontefract opponents to the sword.

Michael Dunn led Progressive’s spree by scoring five goals.

Joshua Barratt bagged a hat-trick and Regan Fish and Brett Smith both scored twice.

Goals from Paul Fish and James Hicks completed the rout.

Chris Burnett’s first-half effort was Nevison’s only reply.

In the First Division, AFC Bass House won 1-0 at Pontefract and Castleford United.

Both teams struggled to create openings in a scoreless first-half.

The game continued in a similar vein in the second period but Bass House came out on top thanks to a vital goal by Daniel Robinson who blotted his copybook slightly when he picked up a yellow card.

Whitwood Metrostars edged a seven-goal thriller against George and Dragon (Pollington).

Metrostars won 4-3 after the first-half ended 2-2.

Richie Dunning and Gareth Hanson each scored two goals for Metrostars.

George and Dragon’s defeat was tough on two-goal Adrian Kisiel.

Oliver McArdle was the other scorer for the Pollington outfit.

Upton Wranbgbrook continue to lead the way in the First Division. They are four points clear of second-placed AFC Cutsyke who they host this Sunday.

Cutsyke have played one more match than Upton.

Third-placed George V are six points adrift of Upton but they have two matches in hand on the leaders.

Castleford referee Adrian Holmes will be in charge of this Sunday’s FA Youth Cup final between Sussex County FA and Liverpool County FA at Crawley Town (1pm kick-off).