Simpson’s goal earns quick revenge for Glasshoughton Welfare

Jamie Simpson.
Jamie Simpson.

Glasshoughton Welfare earned quick revenge for their home defeat against Armthorpe Welfare last Tuesday when they beat them 1-0 at their M Pilbeam Construction Stadium despite being reduced to 10 men.

Glasshoughton had their third player sent-off in five games this season, but brought the points home courtesy of a goal from Jamie Simpson.

The game was marred with a serious injury to the home side’s Arran Hodgson.

Both teams made changes from the encounter four days previously, but they struggled with the breezy conditions. An early chance fell to the home side, but the header sailed over while at the other end Mathew Bowman could not control the ball when in a good position.

The home side lost Hodgson after 15 minutes after an innocuous challenge from Mateusz Zaniewski and it was later discovered that he had suffered a broken leg.

Glasshoughton came close after 20 minutes when Simpson was put through on the left by Mitch Wilshire but he saw his shot cannon of the post. Bowman then did well on the right only for his final ball to be blocked by former Glasshoughton player Josh Bucknall. The same player also blocked an effort by Lewis Pickering.

Ten minutes into the second half the visitors were down to 10 men for the third time in five games this season when Bowman was given a straight red card for a foul on a home player.

The 10 men were struggling now and only a great last ditch Sam Pashley tackle prevented them going behind. Zaniewski saved from Liam Olsson and the ball was played out long. It appeared to flick of a home defender, Simpson ran on and poked the ball past the diving Adam Stevens to make it 1-0.

The scores should have been level minutes later when another ex-Glasshoughton player Alan Jackson was left alone in the area, but his diving header was inches wide.

It was all hands at the pumps for the visitors in the last 10 minutes, but they defended well. A shot went inches over the bar and Gareth Roberts headed a corner into the arms of Zaniewski. Jordan Buckham volleyed wide and it was all over for the home side when, in injury time, Zaniewski somehow tipped over Kearsley’s volley.

Joint Glasshoughton manager Darren Holmes said: “Down to 10 men at 0-0 and taking all three points, have got to be happy with that.

“We are all concerned, the performances need to be better, but we trust in the squad we have and I am sure we will come through this and start and get the results.

“The lads worked very hard, especially in the second half when down to 10 men, defended very well and took our chance on the break. It is very disappointing that we have had three players sent-off already this season and that has to stop.

Welfare produced an improved performance at Hallam on Tuesday when they withstood a home comeback to win 3-2 in the league.

Hallam is always a difficult place to go and they were indebted to goalkeeper Mateusz Zaniewski for a number of fine saves, one of which was a miraculous double save.

Houghton took the lead midway through the first half when Mathew Bowman broke down the right and his cross into the middle was lashed into the top corner by Gracjan Klimczak.

Welfare were cruising after 57 minutes when a fabulous ball into the middle from Jack Knight found Bowman, who left a defender for dead before firing under the keeper.

Ten minutes later the home side were back in it when Callum Littlejohn fired home. They were then awarded a hotly disputed penalty which Mitch Husbands put passed Zaniewski. Welfare joint manager Lee Vigars was sent to the stands by the referee as he complained about the decision.

Welfare came away with all three points, however, when Adam Walsh scored a towering trademark header from a corner kick on the 81st minute.

Glasshoughton now have a couple of free Saturday’s now and are next in action when they visit Maltby Main in the NCE League Cup on September 5.