Unlucky Ponte Colls denied by last minute goal

Aaron Joseph.
Aaron Joseph.

Pontefract Collieries were left without a game last weekend when their scheduled Toolstation NCE Premier League match at Thackley fell victim to the weather and was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

Nick Handley’s men did play in midweek when they were unlucky to lose out to a last minute goal in going down 4-3 in a good game at Albion Sports.

They remain down in 15th place and hope to get back to action this Saturday when due to host Garforth Town (kick-off 3pm). They are also at home next Wednesday with fourth-placed Handsworth Parramore travelling to Pontefract for a 7.45pm kick-off.

In their game with Albion last Wednesday Colls looked set for at least a point after twice leading against opponents eight places higher in the league.

After getting back to winnings ways with victory over Rainworth MW in their previous game, Ponte’s hopes of recording a second straight win looked good after they made a flying start in opening the scoring just three minutes in.

Newly appointed vice-captain Liam Radford struck with a long range shot that deceived Albion goalkeeper Jack Bentley.

But Albion hit straight back and within three minutes were level as Alex Cusack raced through to beat Colls keeper Ellis Halpine.

Halpine then made a superb save to deny Matt Mathers before Pontefract had a spell on top.

Andy Catton rattled the crossbar before Aaron Joseph’s cross was turned home by new captain Aaron Moxam for his 17th goal of the season on 26 minutes.

The game turned again just before half-time when Arran Basi headed home an equaliser. And in the first minute of the second half, Albion took the lead as Colls continued to have problems dealing with crosses into the box and defender Sam Bradley headed past Halpine.

The Ponte keeper kept his side in the game when saving from Marcus Edwards after the home striker broke clear and it was Colls’ turn to hit back as they levelled on 73 minutes.

With Albion defenders standing expecting the linesman to flag for the ball going out as Catton ran down the flank the Colls player was allowed to keep going and he found midfielder, who had an easy job to make it 3-3.

A draw looked to be a fair result, but with a point all but in the bank Collieries were caught out in the final minute as Edwards sprinted away. Halpine appeared to have done well to force the striker away from goal, but from the tightest of angles Edwards managed to find the net.

There was little time for the restart and Colls were left to reflect on what might have been.