Welfare are denied after floodlight failure

Alex Booth (left) in action for Glasshoughton Welfare.
Alex Booth (left) in action for Glasshoughton Welfare.

Glasshoughton Welfare were denied a possible victory over Staveley MW by a floodlight failure at their Leeds Road ground on Tuesday night.

The Toolstation NCE Premier Division game was abandoned after 72 minutes with Welfare leading 1-0 and looking to hold on for a morale-boosting win.

Welfare were worth their first half lead courtesy of Alex Booth knocking the ball in at the far post, but were increasingly having to resort to some desperate defending during the second period.

Staveley pressure resulted in them being awarded a penalty, but home keeper Paul Hagreen saved the spot kick to keep his side ahead after the break.

The visitors were piling on more pressure when the early end came. It was a partial floodlight failure that led to the referee calling a halt to proceedings and although attempts were made to finish the game a re-occurring fault gave the match official no real option but to abandon the match after struggling through to a total of 72 minutes.

No date has yet been fixed for when the game can be rearranged.

A less than professional decision denied Welfare a share of the points against high riding visitors from Derbyshire as they lost 2-1 to Heanor Town on Saturday.

With the blustery wind at their backs Welfare opened well, taking the game forward and putting the visitors’ defence under early pressure.

When Town responded the league’s leading scorer, Kieran Debrouwer, put a free-kick over before Welfare’s Josh Prudhoe attempted a clever lob which visiting keeper Mark Frost was equal to.

Welfare had a penalty appeal turned down, but stayed on the offensive to go in front on the quarter hour mark, Del Pollock stealing possession in midfield to hit a superb strike in to the roof of the net from all of 25 yards to put the home men ahead.

From a long centre Pollock again looked dangerous, but a last minute challenge forced him to shoot narrowly wide .

Welfare were guilty of giving away possession which Town took advantage of to force a number of corners, from which Matt Savage got in a good header to force home keeper Hagreen into a fine save on the goal line.

When the hosts came away Andy Seed controlled well to swivel and volley just wide with Frost well beaten. But as the interval approached it was the visitors who were playing the better football with Welfare defending stoutly to protect their lead to the break.

Heanor continued strongly from the restart, forcing a number of corners and efforts by Gary Webster, Nathan Benger and Matt Savage going too close for comfort. But with a determined home defence standing firm and with play switching from end to end as the clock began to click down it was looking just possible for Welfare to hang on to their slender lead until in the 87th minute a long range free-kick was met by supporting defender Chris Shaw to head past Hagreen to level matters.

Town were now fired up looking for the winner and got it in the 83rd minute in the most dramatic fashion, the referee judging that Welfare’s Jamie Williams had fouled Webster in the box. Despite the protests of the Welfare contingent, which were actually supported by the visiting players and officials that the player had fallen over Williams, a penalty was awarded, which Debrouwer drove firmly home.

To compound Glasshoughton’s misery, Williams also received a red card.

Welfare were pushed on the defensive for the remaining period, the reduction in numbers offering little opportunity to build an offensive to look for the leveller.

Glasshoughton travel to play Thackley in the Premier Division this Saturday (3pm) and they are also in action at home to Brighouse Town next Tuesday (3pm) in another league game.