Welfare miss out after opponents reduced to 10

Glasshoughton Welfare's James Beaston.
Glasshoughton Welfare's James Beaston.

A lack of concentration in defence proved costly for Glasshoughton Welfare as they lost 2-0 at home to Worksop Parramore on Tuesday night despite matching their visitors.

Welfare opened the Toolstation NCE Premier Division game with gusto, James Beaston penetrating down the right flank, but his final low cross was scrambled away by the visitors.

In a fast opening the hosts again looked dangerous as Daz Young returned a header back which resulted in the game being held up due to a clash of heads in the goalmouth.

Both sides had an equal amount of possession and half chances on goal, but shortly before the interval the visitors went ahead, home keeper Paul Hagreen allowing a fairly innocuous free-kick by Lee Whittington to creep just inside the upright.

In a game in which little quarter was given Parramore were reduced to 10 men early in the second half as defender James Cotterill received his marching orders for a dangerous high tackle. But Welfare were unable to put the extra number to any advantage.

Indeed as is quite often the case Worksop appeared to play better and on the hour mark the usually mister reliable Hagreen, looking to palm over a lob from Danny Ingram, only succeeded in pushing the ball into his own goal.

From then on despite a lot of effort from Welfare it was the visitors who bossed proceedings.

Glasshoughton produced their worst display of the season by far on Saturday and consequently slipped off the Wembley trail with a 4-1 home defeat to Armthorpe Welfare in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase.

In an even start Houghton’s Joel Freestone had an early effort blocked out before the visitors went away to force the first corner from which Stuart Preston placed wide.

After both outfits had appeared to get the metal of each other and play settled the visitors went ahead in the 16th minute, hesitancy by central defender Alex Low allowing Jay Rollins to dart in and gain possession and place past stranded keeper Hagreen.

Within minutes Glasshoughton were in further trouble, again from poor defending, Armthorpe’s Rollins being allowed oceans of space from which he took advantage to drive past Hagreen.

In response Russell Headley forced visiting keeper William Biggs to turn a low shot round for a corner and Freestone looked dangerous angling in from the left until over running the ball dead and after clearing off the goal- line Glasshoughton were fortunate to go in at the interval only two goals adrift.

From the interval restart the hosts gave promise of a better performance, but when a Freestone shot was spilled by Biggs there was no-one backing up to turn the ball in and when Freestone was put clear one to one with Biggs the keeper won the battle of minds and saved at the forward’s feet.

A good through ball from Liam Tuck once again found Freestone’s pace taking him clear only to lift the opportunity over and when the visitors’ David Buck looked to have increased the lead a fine late save from Hagreen kept Welfare in the game.

Taking advantage of this, Freestone got the goal he had been promising all afternoon, rising up to head home a well flighted Daz Young free-kick to put the home men back in contention.

Glasshoughton had a chance to further reduce the arrears when Greig McGrory laid a perfect ball for Headley, but the shot was ballooned over.

They were then made to rue the miss as Armthorpe went away to add to their tally, poor defending allowing Daniel Taylor to squeeze in a cross from the bye-line for substitute Kieren Benson to head home.

To complete Glasshoughton’s afternoon of woe Rollins bustled through a number of would be challenges to net his hat-trick and put the tie firmly to bed.

Glasshoughton are back in league action this Saturday when they travel to play Heanor Town (3pm).

l Glasshoughton Welfare under 19s side of mainly 16 and 17-year-olds gave an excellent display in a 3-1 win at Goole Town in the Northern Alliance League.

They came under pressure in the first half, but fine goalkeeping from Matty Potts kept the game scoreless until the hour mark. It was Welfare who then took the lead, Danny King scoring from the spot after Matthew Ashton had been upended in the area.

Goole equalised when they were also awarded a penalty, but a swift counter attack gave Houghton the lead again with Liam Moore netting. Welfare then clinched victory as Matty Jenkins scored from close range.

The work of fitness coach Ian Nicholson was clear to see in the closing stages when Welfare were still going strong while Goole flagged. Youngest player Ashton was MOM.