Welfare’s home woes continue

Glasshoughton Welfare's John Hirst, right, battles with Thackley's Callum White. Picture: TONY JOHNSON
Glasshoughton Welfare's John Hirst, right, battles with Thackley's Callum White. Picture: TONY JOHNSON

Glasshoughton Welfare were left still looking for a first home win of the season in the Premier Division of the Toolstation NCE League after they were mostly second best in a 3-0 defeat to Thackley.

The final score flattered the visitors from Bradford, but Welfare were not at their best and struggled to get through their opponents’ stubborn defence.

In a fast start by both outfits the visitors’ Chris Davey gave notice of his prowess by breaking clear only to miss an open goal after only five minutes. Welfare replied with Joel Freestone going close.

Freestone put a good shot narrowly over and Liam Tuck forced a deflection which came off the upright to win the first corner kick, from which Alex Low got in a good header that keeper Ivan Willis was equal to.

Thackley appeared the sharper, picking up all the second ball and went close to opening the account when Lewis Morgan exploited a home defensive error to head against the crossbar, but an entertaining half saw the teams go in at the interval with nothing between them.

Unfortunately Welfare were not quite the same team in the second period and after the early withdrawal of captain Daz Young, being replaced by debutant Dalton Harris, the visitors went ahead as the home defence failed to deal with a long looping centre and Davey punished the hesitancy by driving in at the far post

Thackley stepped up a gear and it was no surprise when they increased the lead, Davey again taking advantage of further hesitancy in the home defence to place past keeper Paul Hagreen.

Shortly after the points were made safe when Mike Garrod hit a tremendous shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the area.

Thackley peppered the home goal with a number of good efforts while at the other end the usually dangerous Freestone was repeatedly snuffed out by a well drilled defence only allowing him one real effort which keeper Willis turned round the upright and Welfare need to step up a gear for their next outing at high riding Albion Sports this Saturday (kick-off 3pm). They are also at home to Retford United next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Glasshoughton entertained higher league Ossett Albion in the first round of the West Riding County Cup on Tuesday night and despite getting a dream start with a goal after four minutes they went on to lose 4-1 after contributing to their own downfall.

Although starting without a number of regulars a perfect through ball found top scorer Callum Ward in the clear and a perfectly executed chip beat keeper Adam Rhodes to put Welfare into an early lead.

It was shortlived, however, as a bobbling half-hit shot from Luke Durham deceived home keeper Paul Hagreen and somehow finished in the back of the net to level matters.

After only a dozen minutes of play a third goal followed and the visitors were ahead as a poor intended back pass committed Hagreen to race out and execute a late challenge, resulting in a spot kick Ben Jones duly despatched.

Welfare’s response was a fine strike by Kieran Corley which Albion were relieved to see deflected for a corner and a close effort from John Hirst which scraped the crossbar.

But it was the visitors gradually taking over proceedings and it was little surprise when they extended the lead on the half hour, a fine cross following a deep throw being turned in by Durham.

In the second period with Welfare having settled to some degree and Albion content with their lead the game was even. But just to emphasise their superiority Albion added a late fourth, substitute Adam Muller evading a number of attempted challenges in the penalty area to angle in and conclusively remove Welfare from the competition.

Three goals from Tom Nodder and one apiece by Lee Grainger and Liam Kellett ensured Glasshoughton Welfare’s West Yorkshire League team progressed to the second round of the West Riding Challenge Trophy against a decent Pannal Sports team at Harrogate on Saturday.

Matty Bell and Mark Penney returned to the side who had beaten Purston two weeks earlier and Welfare took the lead in the tenth minute when great work between Grainger and Liam Kellett led to Kellett’s final pass knocked in by Nodder.

A couple of minutes later Nodder just failed to get onto a cross from the right by Jacob Blackett.

Pannal hit back and their first attempt on goal after 15 minutes flashed by a post. They were not to be outdone, however, and a fantastic volley beat Ben Timson to equalise.

On 40 minutes Mark Penney had a great chance to score only to screw his shot wide. But two minutes later Nodder poked home his second when a Matt Cressey free-kick into the box fell to his feet.

The second half opened with Welfare on the front foot and a great clipped ball through the middle from Blackett allowed Grainger to run in and rifle the ball past the keeper.

Welfare then made two substitutions, bringing on Dale Gordon and Liam Cooper for Bell and Penny.

They were rocked on 52 minutes when a ball into the area was blasted in by Pannal. But the win was sealed in the last 20 minutes when Nodder headed in a free-kick from Cressey then a superb pass from strong defender Adam Walsh allowed Kellett to easily beat the goalkeeper.

Walsh, Nodder, Kellett, and Blackett were all contenders for man of the match but this went to Lee Grainger for a an outstanding 90 minutes.

Manager Jon Miles and coach Mark Kellett were pleased with a performance that earned Welfare a second round tie at Goole United. They get back into league action this Saturday when they entertain Rothwell.