Welfare suffer double disappointment

Glasshoughton Welfare v Knaresborough. Glasshoughton centre forward Reece Chappell
Glasshoughton Welfare v Knaresborough. Glasshoughton centre forward Reece Chappell

Old boy Liam Tuck dumped Glasshoughton Welfare out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle as he came up with a superb strike to clinch a 2-1 victory for his new club Knaresborough Town at Leeds Road on Saturday.

With Welfare’s former manager Rob Hunter currently the Knaresborough head coach and with the side containing a sprinkling of former Glasshoughton players, the visitors were looking for a big performance in this extra preliminary round tie.

In a fast opening of what transpired to be a superbly entertaining game the tackles were flying in early on with Welfare taking the early plaudits.

Daniel Barrett failed to convert an early opportunity, but it was the home men who went ahead in the 21st minute following a corner, Josh Prudhoe going deep to strike the foot of the upright and as the shot trickled agonisingly along the goal line Adam Walsh was on hand to turn the ball in and give Welfare a deserved lead they took to the interval

From the restart Town began to gain the upper hand, forcing Welfare deeper and deeper in to defensive positions and after Liam Gray had blazed over the crossbar Knaresborough levelled. Attacking defender Nicolas Radcliffe hit a rising shot which this time with the aid of the underside of the crossbar beat keeper Josh Archer to finish in the back of the net.

Town had their tails up from this and within minutes had taken the lead, former Glasshoughton player Tuck hitting a beautiful low screamer into the bottom corner from all of 25 yards which gave Archer no chance to save.

Town were truly buzzing now but missed the opportunity to kill the game off when being awarded a controversial penalty, Colin Heath hitting the spot kick so high it was reputed to come down in the nearby Xscape shopping mall.

To their credit Welfare came back strongly, but when Simon Leach received a controversial dubious second caution to receive his marching orders the task of recovery became just that little too much and a good visitors side finished comfortable winners.

Glasshoughton were back to league action in the Toolstation NCE Premier on Tuesday when they travelled to play Pickering Town and lost 1-0 after a controversial linesman decision denied them a deserved share of the spoils.

In the first half Welfare were stretched to contain an impressive ball at the feet outfit and breathed a sigh of relief to go in at the break trailing by only a single goal knocked in off the upright as early as the third minute by Joel Ramm.

From the restart after absorbing a period of early pressure thanks largely to some top class goalkeeping by Josh Archer the visitors opened out and began to look dangerous themselves.

They appeared to level when a low cross by Del Pollock was spilled by keeper Tom Woodhead for Liam Moore to tap-in, but their joy was quelled by a raised flag for offside.

Welfare gave everything in the closing minutes but somehow Town held out.

This Saturday they travel to play Tadcaster Albion (3pm) and look like having to field a weakened team after having their request to postpone the game turned down by the NCE League committee.

In view of the number of players wishing to attend the Rugby League Challenge Cup final between Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos, Welfare applied for a cancellation, but were disappointed by the decision and will now have to play.