Wetherald goal clinches thrilling win for Ponte Colls

Andy Catton, on target against Yorkshire Amateur.
Andy Catton, on target against Yorkshire Amateur.

A late goal from Kingsley Wetherald clinched victory for Pontefract Collieries in a thrilling Toolstation NCE Division One game at Yorkshire Amateur on Tuesday night.

Colls emerged victors 5-4 after seeing a 4-1 lead wiped out before Wetherald’s 84th minute winning goal.

Ponte were 3-1 up at half-time after strikes by Tom Agus, Brenton Leister and Liam Radford and increased the advantage a minute after the break when winger Andy Catton netted.

But they took the foot off the gas and looked like paying the price before Wetherald’s late intervention gave them a win that lifted them up to ninth place in the table.

On Saturday Colls slugged out a 1-1 draw with near neighbours Selby Town on a rain lashed day more suited to ducks than footballers.

Despite the weather a good crowd watched two evenly matched sides take a point apiece with the goals coming at either end of the second half.

Ponte’s injury woes continued with managers Duncan Bray and Nick Handley having to select players in unfamiliar positions and they were forced into an early reshuffle with defender Michael Staley aggravating his old leg injury and having to leave the field of play after only seven minutes, to be replaced by Gary Lumley.

Selby should have taken advantage with a free header in the area, but the ball flew wide. At the other end former Ponte stopper Lee Kelsey pulled off a fine save on 30 minutes to deny the on-rushing Liam Radford and then again on 40 minutes to deny Brenton Leister.

With the wind at their back in the second half Selby took the game to Ponte and on 48 minutes Danny Gray used his strength to ease past Lumley and fire the ball into the net.

Looking to exploit their advantage, they piled the pressure but were unable to add to their goal tally. Keeper Craig Parry, back in the Ponte net after injury, showed his quality as he pulled off a string of saves to keep Selby at bay.

Town were not having it all their own way, though, as Colls battled to get back into the game with Josh Corbett, having another excellent game in the heart of the Colls midfield, firing just wide then having a free-kick well saved by Kelsey.

Subs Kingsley Wetherald and Nathan Perks entered the fray and after the former went close it was Perks who equalised after Chris Kamara beat three Selby defenders to fire over an inch perfect cross.

Selby came back at Ponte in the dying minutes and Parry had to pull off yet another top save to keep the scores level.

Next up for Colls is an away game at Clipstone on Saturday (3pm) before they host Hallam next Wednesday (7.45pm).

New signings are in the pipeline as the managers look to strengthen a squad beset with injury problems.