Fryston reach second cup final

Fryston's Jack Lee tries to evade the Hammersmith defence. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK
Fryston's Jack Lee tries to evade the Hammersmith defence. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK

FRYSTON reached the grand final of the Tier 4 Cup in blistering fashion when they beat Hammersmith Hill 48-0.

They ran in nine tries and kept their London opponents scoreless in a superb display.

Kick-off was delayed for above an hour due to traffic problems the visitors had on the way up and Fryston never gave them time to settle after their long journey. The pack was awesome in both attack and defence, but it was the speed of the backs that really caused the damage to Hammersmith.

Both sides were eager not to concede the first try and it took Fryston 15 minutes to break down the Hammersmith defence with Andy Speake’s neat little kick to the corner for Andy Matthews to score. Dale Cogan failed with the kick, but went on land six from nine attempts.

Fryston kicked on from this and blitzed the Hammersmith line. Next it was the combination of Wayne McHugh and Andy Matthews that split the defence with the latter scoring his second try.

The game was scrappy at times with both sides giving away silly penalties and with a referee who enjoyed blowing his whistle. This did not stop Fryston’s memento and they hit Hammersmith’s left side again with McHugh the scorer this time.

Hammersmith tried in vain to cross the Fryston line, but the home defence was magnificent and took everything that was thrown at them. Fryston forced their opponents into making basic errors and punished them when they did with Jack Lee taking advantage to score at the side of the posts.

Almost immediately from the restart Fryston stormed up field with Dean Sampson making a barn storming run. From it a quick play the ball saw Cogan linking in to score again, giving the hosts a half-time lead of 26-0.

They came out for the second half in the same fashion knowing that a quick try would kill off the visitors and they got it when McHugh again danced his way down the right flank to score.

The game was in the bag for Fryston and it was a matter of how many they would score. They kept their composure when at times Hammersmith’s frustration got the better of them and kept playing the magnificent rugby they had been playing throughout.

Lee popped up for his second try after a quick play the ball caught Hammersmith napping and Fryston kept the high tempo going. Hammersmith were feeling it now and their left flank was ripped open time and again with McHugh, Matthews and Cogan making full advantage to give Matthews his third try of the game, quickly followed by Cogan’s second.

Fryston had 17 stars on the day, with Dale Wynne, Lee Land and Andy Matthews really shining, but none more so than McHugh who took the MOM.

Fryston go into the first of their two finals this Saturday when they play Skirlaugh in the Yorkshire Tier 4 final at Stanningley (kick-off 3pm). The following week they play Kells in the Tier 4 National Cup final at Ince Rose Bridge, Wigan on Sunday, October 7.