Fryston triumph in first Yorkshire Men’s Premier final

Fryston man of the match centre Wayne McHugh takes on the Skirlaugh defence. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK
Fryston man of the match centre Wayne McHugh takes on the Skirlaugh defence. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK

FRYSTON triumphed in the first-ever Forty-20 Yorkshire Men’s League Premier Division final at Stanningley when they beat Skirlaugh Bulls 44-18.

The key was a lightning start when Fryston ran in 22 unanswered points in the first 20 minutes, the combination of Wayne McHugh and Andy Matthews again doing the damage, McHugh going on to complete a hat-trick in a man of the match performance.

It took Fryston only five minutes to get on the score sheet with Matthews scoring under the posts and this was quickly followed by a double from McHugh while Dale Cogan had a good day with the boot, kicking six goals despite the blustery conditions.

Skirlaugh were totally bedazzled at the speed and force that Fryston opened up and were like a rabbit caught in a car’s headlights. Jimmy Clarkson had the easiest of run-ins when he backed a McHugh and Matthews break to stroll under the posts.

Fryston then took their foot off the gas and let Skirlaugh come into the game with hooker Bill Grimmer sneaking in from dummy half and Rob Brown added the spoils. Not to be outdone Fryston hit immediately back and Jack Lee showed a clean pair of heels to score.

The final score of the first half went to Skirlaugh’s big front row man John Taylor after Fryston had conceded a string of penalties.

Fryston came out for the second half expecting to continue where they left off but Skirlaugh’s defence had tightened up and there were a lot of unforced errors. It took them quite a while to break them down and McHugh finally did so to notch his third try.

After this the game became scrappy with both sides giving away numerous penalties. Skirlaugh reduced the deficit when centre Simon Kilvey out-jumped the Fryston defence to score, but Fryston made the game safe by running in two late tries from Steve Scott and a full length effort from second row Adam Withington.

Fryston take on Kells next Sunday in the Tier 4 National Cup final, but will have to improve on the second half performance against the Bulls. Kick-off is 2.30pm at Ince Rose Bridge, Wigan.

Fryston squad: Cogan, Taylor, McHugh, Land, Bird, Clarkson, Speake, Handford, Dickinson, Sampson, Wynne, Scott, Withington, Lee, Arundel, Simpson, Haywood, Savage, Tucker, Matthews.

Fryston were sponsored by Monkhill Sandwiches, while Mark Arling sponsored Fryston’s man of the match award.