Castleford’s defence in magnificent shape

Winger Martin Dye scored Castleford's first try. Picture: Jacqui O'Gara.
Winger Martin Dye scored Castleford's first try. Picture: Jacqui O'Gara.

Castleford first-team gave a tremendous defensive display in a hard-earned 17-13 win at Burley in Yorkshire Three.

They defended magnificently to retain a 17-13 half-time lead in a scoreless second-half in which they had a heavy penalty count against them.

Centre Kevin Cruthers returned after a four-match injury spell and colts Thomas Egan and Thomas Dobson started their second senior games.

The visitors played down the slope into a stiff breeze in the first-half. The narrow field initially set problems for the visitors’ attacking backline but they soon posted their first try when winger Martin Dye went over after a slick move which involved Ian Mattison and Daniel Price.

Burley soon responded with a converted try after capitalising on a rare Castleford defensive lapse.

Acting skipper James Baldwin instigated Castleford’s second try with a powerful run. Scrum half Adam Chappell then sent the ball wide down the blindside to Price from the resulting ruck and the centre threw a long pass to Dodson who sprinted over unopposed in the corner.

Mattison added an excellent conversion.

Bramley reduced the arrears with a penalty from in front of the posts before Castleford struck again.

Sustained forward pressure led to the backs combining to put in full-back Chris Brown for a try in the corner.

Bramley kicked another penalty goal to cut the half-time gap to four points.

In the second period, Castleford were on the wrong end of a massive penalty count and a double-sinbinning.

They held out despite finding themselves on the back-foot for long periods.

Their defence stayed rock solid, despite all the refereeing decisions, including a run of nine successive penalties against them.

Castleford’s entire squad earned top marks for the way they coped.

Castleford under 16s played excellently in a 26-17 win at Scunthorpe.

Cas were depleted by injuries and unavailable players but the fringe players who came in did a great job.

Tremendous defence by ever reliable Sam Keyworth and consistent Ross Grattan and the rest of the pack kept out Scunthorpe.

Sean Adamson nnd Stephen Hunt also put in some big hits.

Scunthorpe took a 10-0 lead but Cas rallied superbly and Hunt sent in Bradley Kittrick for a try. Jack Townend converted from touchline.

Cameron Adderley then paved the way for Jake Humphries to cross.

Great work by Kittrick saw Humphries grab a try that Townend improved before Castleford clinched victory when Grattan forced his way over and Townend goaled.

Hunt and Townend shared the MOM award.