Celebrations as Pontefract are confirmed as champions

Celebration time as Pontefract RUFC celebrate winning Yorkshire Division Two. Picture:  Allan McMenzie
Celebration time as Pontefract RUFC celebrate winning Yorkshire Division Two. Picture: Allan McMenzie

Record breaking Pontefract players and club officials were able to celebrate achieving their promotion aim with three games to spare after another victory last Saturday.

A 34-19 win at home to Roundhegians was more comfortable than the score suggested with six tries scored and only two conversions to accompany them.

It meant that the Moor Lane club could not be caught at the top of the Yorkshire Division Two table even if they were to lose all three of their remaining matches and not manage to pick up any bonus points.

In making it 15 wins in succession Pontefract set a new club record and they stand 23 points ahead of nearest challengers Old Crossleyans, who only have four games to go, with Ponte’s record now reading 21 wins and just two league defeats this season.

Their latest success came after they got off to a flying start with Liam Kay going over for the opening try after just four minutes.

Roundhegians showed they had not just come to make up the numbers as they stayed in the game and replied with a try by Harry Wollaston, converted by James Dobson.

A second home try followed from Jonny Hill, but Hegians led 14-10 at the break after Alex Miyambo crossed for a try and Dobson again goaled.

The crucial first score after the break went to the hosts as Matthew Bacon scored four minutes in. Callum Watts stretched the lead with the fourth try, but the result remained in the balance until Ponte put the game to bed in the last 15 minutes with tries by Glen Boyd and Robert Scholey that were converted by Kay.

Pontefract seconds joined the club celebrations, pulling off a 37-17 win against Dinnington seconds.

The visitors were the first to score, but an excellent Matt Hargreaves turnover led to a Ponte try as Liam Wiggins put wing Adam Edwards into the clear to score.

Although the visitors scored a second try it was 12-12 at half-time after fly-half Richard Hossack converted his own try.

Centre Steve Lowrie put in a bullocking run to score early in the second half before Dinnington replied to level again.

However, Pontefract then gelled and made the most of their retained ball possession to run away with the game with MOM Edwards scoring three well worked tries and promising flanker Brodie Mathews going in for a good support try following a Hossack half-break.

Josh Blackmore and Lee Bennett were stand-outs.