Sheffield Eagles 18 Featherstone Rovers 50 - James Webster's men continue perfect start

FEATHERSTONE ROVERS continued their perfect start to the Championship season with a big win over Sheffield Eagles on Sunday evening.

Sunday, 23rd May 2021, 7:25 pm
Updated Sunday, 23rd May 2021, 7:26 pm
Featherstone Rovers head coach James Webster. Picture: Getty Images.

Rovers have now beaten the Eagles in the last eight meetings between the sides, dating back to 2017.

They took the lead through debutant Jacob Doyle after five minutes and never relinquished their grip on the contest to make it six league wins from six.

The second-half had been delayed for almost an hour as medical staff dealt with an incident inside the Keepmoat Stadium, the nature of which is not yet fully known.

In the first half, Gareth Gale doubled Rovers' lead three minutes after Doyle's opener before Jack Bussey plunged between the posts soon after to extend the advantage further.

The Eagles hit back through former Rovers man Brad Knowles but captain James Lockwood responded quickly with a fourth try from the visitors.

In a back-and-forth end to the opening 40 minutes, Bobby Tyson-Wilson hit back with a try for the Eagles.

Rovers had the final say in a high-scoring first half as Callum Field dotted down before Gale added his second try three minutes before the interval.

There was then almost an hour between the end of the first half and the beginning of the second but Rovers continued where they left off when the action finally resumed as Nu Brown dotted down under the posts on 46 minutes before Lockwood claimed his second four-pointer just after the hour.

Craig Hall's converted try took Featherstone to 50 points before Izaac Farrell added a late consolation for the hosts.

Sheffield Eagles: Guzdek, Worrincy, Johnson, Glover, Corion, Farrell, Brown, Wheeldon, Davey, James, Knowles, Davies, Burns. Subs: Dickinson, H Tyson-Wilson, Bull, B Tyson Wilson.

Featherstone Rovers: Chisholm, Doyle, Minns, Hall, Gale, Brown, Holmes, Brown, Jones, Kopczak, Jones, Lockwood, Halton, Day, Bussey. Subs: Parata, Davies, Field, McConnell.

Referee: A. Moore