Battling Lock Lane beaten in trophy final

Lock Lane under 18s were beaten in Sunday's County Cup final at South Leeds Stadium.
Lock Lane under 18s were beaten in Sunday's County Cup final at South Leeds Stadium.

Lock Lane under 18s lost 30-10 to West Hull in Sunday’s BARLA Yorkshire Under 18 Cup final at South Leeds Stadium.

West Hull ground out a hard-earned victory over their Castleford rivals in a match that was more closely-contested than the final scoreline might suggest.

There was no score until the 29th minute when West Hull’s Lewis Straw converted his own try. West Hull added two more tries before the break to take a 16-0 lead.

Jacob Moore’s touchdown put West Hull further ahead a minute after the restart but battling Lock Lane fought back excellently and replied seven minutes later when Josh Steele crossed.

However, further scores in the final quarter by Straw and Moore, plus another Straw goal, sealed West Hull’s win.

Lane’s Connor Turner grabbed a late consolation try which he also goaled.

The match was followed by the BARLA Yorkshire Cup open-age semi-final between Queens and Upton which the North Leeds team won 26-14.

Queens will now face Drighlington - who beat Methley Royals 18-17 in the other semi-final - in the decider, at a venue to be confirmed. The match will take place on a date in January which has yet to be announced.

Both Queens and Upton featured in the semi-final despite having been beaten in their respective quarter-finals. Sharlston Rovers had accounted for Queens and Fryston Warriors had toppled Upton, only for both to have been found guilty of fielding an ineligible player in their subsequent semi-final, which Fryston won 14-10.

BARLA officials opted in the circumstances to reinstate Upton and Queens, with the teams meeting on Sunday in the slot originally reserved for the final itself. After leading 16-2 at the break, Queens found themselves pegged back to 20-14 with time running out but they sealed victory with a late try.

Upton’s try scorers were Liam Harnell and Jake Turner. Steve Beal kicked three goals.