Castleford back at bottom after defeat in thriller

Rangi Chase, who set up six tries for Castleford Tigers. Picture: IAN HARBER
Rangi Chase, who set up six tries for Castleford Tigers. Picture: IAN HARBER

An interception try by their former player, Ryan McGoldrick, eight minutes from time condemned Castleford Tigers to another away defeat in the Super League at Salford City Reds.

In an entertaining end to end contest both sides scored six tries, but it was the Reds who just hung on at the end to register a 34-30 win and push Castleford back to the bottom of the table.

With Rangi Chase having a hand in all six of their tries the Tigers looked to have finally got the measure of their hosts in the second half as they led by two points before ironically it was a Chase pass that McGoldrick intercepted to race away and score the crucial final try.

Cas were not helped by some controversial calls against them by referee Thierry Alibert, who looked lost at times, but their slack defence was in stark contrast to the way they had held out against a much better Leeds Rhinos side the previous week.

They were given a good start when Nathan Massey charged over for the opening try on four minutes.

Back came Salford through Matty Ashurst and a Marc Sneyd goal, but two tries in three minutes by Justin Carney and Adam Milner plus one conversion from Jamie Ellis allowed the Tigers to establish a 14-6 lead.

It was the hosts’ turn to score two tries in three minutes next as Danny Williams and Andrew Dixon went over and they led 16-14 at half-time.

When Vic Mauro charged in two minutes into the second half and Sneyd goaled again the Reds looked to be in control, but Chase sent Oliver Holmes over within three minutes and Ellis goaled to keep the scores within two.

It was not to stay that way for long as Theo Fages wriggled over to make it 28-20 to Salford.

Castleford continued to look dangerous in attack, though, and went back in front as Ellis touched down Chase’s low kick over the line and Jordan Thompson raced in at the corner from Chase’s pass.

However, McGoldrick’s interception proved crucial and the Tigers could not come back again, although they came mighty close near the end when Kirk Dixon appeared to be knocked down by a high tackle as he tried to go in at the corner. From the following play the ball he was adjudged to have knocked on when it should have been a penalty to the Tigers and with that went Cas’s last chance.

Scorers - Salford: Tries Ashurst, Williams, Dixon, Mauro, Fages, McGoldrick; goals Sneyd 5. Castleford: Tries Massey, Carney, Milner, Holmes, Ellis, Thompson; goals Ellis 3.

Salford: Sneyd; Broughton, Gibson, Gleeson, Williams; Fages, McGoldrick; Griffin, Godwin, Emmitt, Ashurst, Dixon, Wild. Subs: Foran, Mauro, James, Walne.

Castleford: Tansey; Dixon, Shenton, Thompson, Carney; Chase, Ellis; Huby, Milner, Mason, Holmes, Hauraki, Massey. Subs: Clark, Gilmour, Walker, Boyle.

Half-time: 16-14.

Referee: Thierry Alibert

Attendance: 2,306.