Castleford go down to narrow defeat at Hull KR

Jake Webster, who scored a try for Castleford Tigers but was taken off with an elbow injury at Hull KR.
Jake Webster, who scored a try for Castleford Tigers but was taken off with an elbow injury at Hull KR.

Castleford Tigers narrowly failed to end their long losing run away from home when they lost 26-22 at Hull KR.

Ian Millward’s men ran in four tries and were in the game right up to the final hooter, but ultimately were undone by two tries early in the second half and making too many errors in the final quarter.

They led 16-14 at the break, but Hull KR took control with tries by Josh Hodgson and Craig Hall in the first 11 minutes of the second half and with Travis Burns adding two conversions the Tigers were left with a lot to do at 26-16 down.

Daryl Clark ensured a close finish when racing away after home full-back Greg Eden had misjudged a Jordan Tansey high kick. Kirk Dixon kicked the goal, but Cas failed to score again and were left frustrated with another defeat in a game they could have won.

Castleford had come from 10-0 and 14-6 down in the first half to lead 16-14 at half-time after keeping their heads to battle their way into the contest after a shaky start.

Hull KR initially looked set for a points spree as they went over for two tries in the first nine minutes.

Burns was first to score, taking advantage of a lucky bounce off his own kick to touch down despite the ball slipping out of his grasp over the line. Video referee Tim Roby decided there was enough downward pressure to give the try and Burns added the conversion.

Kris Welham was next to score after chasing up Michael Dobson’s well judged low kick and it was 10-0.

Back came Cas through Kirk Dixon as he touched the ball down over the line after Jordan Tansey’s kick had been fumbled over his own line by David Hodgson.

But Rovers stretched their lead to 14-6 on 27 minutes as David Hodgson was sent over by Welham.

Cas dug in, however, and Rangi Chase sent Jake Webster over for a try against his former club.

Dixon’s second conversion brought the scores to within two and the Tigers went in front three minutes before half-time when Webster turned provider for Richard Owen to go over in the corner.

Scorers - Hull KR: Tries Burns, Welham, D Hodgson, J Hodgson, Hall; goals Burns 3. Castleford: Tries Dixon, Webster, Owen, Clark; goals Dixon 3.

Hull KR: Eden; Brown, Welham, Hall, D Hodgson; Burns, Dobson; Tuimavave, J Hodgson, Paea, Cox, Paterson, Griffin. Subs: Mika, Horne, Carlile, Beaumont.

Castleford: Owen; Thompson, Shenton, Webster, Dixon; Chase, Tansey; Mason, Milner, Huby, Gilmour, Hauraki, Holmes. Subs: Ellis, Clark, Millington, Massey.

Referee: James Child.

Half-time: 14-16.