Castleford let half-time lead slip to lose at Hull

Two tries in vain: Denny Solomona.
Two tries in vain: Denny Solomona.

Castleford Tigers’ five-match winning run came to an end as they left the KC Stadium disappointed once again following a game against Hull FC.

Daryl Powell’s men let a 14-6 half-time lead slip as they went down 21-18 to the team that knocked them out of the Challenge Cup earlier in the season on the same ground.

The Tigers looked on course for a victory that would lift them into the top four at the break, but three second half tries and a crucial drop-goal by former Cas half-back Marc Sneyd turned the game Hull’s way.

The absence of scrum-half Luke Gale also proved crucial as the Tigers missed his goal kicking particularly with only one goal landed by Liam Finn.

Castleford made a flying start as they looked to put their cup misery behind them with winger Denny Solomona going over for the opening try after just six minutes.

Hull hit back to take the lead as Richard Whiting crossed the line and Sneyd kicked the conversion, but the visitors were ahead once more when full-back Luke Dorn charged over and Finn’s goal made it 10-6.

After a period of stalemate Cas stretched further ahead when Solomona touched down in the corner and they held on to their 14-6 lead to half-time with good defence seeing the hosts held over the line in the closing stages of the half.

But Hull emerged hungrier in the second half and after upping their game scored their second try as Jordan Abdull barged his way over. Sneyd goaled to cut the gap to two points.

The next score was going to be crucial and it went to Hull on the hour when winger Tom Lineham squeezed over in the corner.

Lineham did it again 10 minutes later and it looked all over when Sneyd landed a drop goal to stretch the home side’s lead to seven points with eight minutes left.

But the Tigers still had some fight left and Ben Roberts raced over to give them hope, although crucially perhaps Finn could not add the goal.

With virtually the last play Adam Milner almost snatched the ball in a tackle and would have had a clear run, but it was not to be and Castleford had seen their winning streak ended.

Scorers - Hull: Tries Whiting, Abdull, Lineham 2; goals Sneyd 2; drop-goal Sneyd. Castleford: Tries Solomona 2, Dorn, Roberts; goals Finn.

Hull FC: Rankin; Lineham, Talanoa, Logan, Michaels; Pryce, Sneyd; Watts, Houghton, Bowden, Hadley, Whiting, Westerman. Subs: Green, Thompson, Abdull, Fash.

Castleford Tigers: Dorn; Solomona, Webster, Shenton, Carney; Roberts, Finn; Lynch, Milner, Millington, Holmes, McMeeken, Cook. Subs: Boyle, Moors, Moore, Springer.

Referee: Joe Cobb.

Half-time: 6-14.

Attendance: 10,114.