Castleford suffer Saints defeat

Kirk Dixon, scorer for Castleford at St Helens before going off with an eye injury.
Kirk Dixon, scorer for Castleford at St Helens before going off with an eye injury.

Castleford Tigers suffered a second successive beating by top four rivals when they went down 38-16 away to St Helens in the First Utility Super League.

Daryl Powell’s men left themselves with an uphill task when they trailed 22-4 at half-time and only a couple of late tries brought some respectability to the score.

Saints looked back to their early season form as they took command in the opening half and they were ahead from the sixth minute as winger Tommy Makinson went over for the opening try.

Cas hit back with a try for their own winger, Kirk Dixon, but the hosts quickly restored their lead when Paul Wellens powered over for a try goaled by Luke Walsh.

Centre Jordan Turner then put Saints further ahead and a second try from Wellens right on half-time left the Tigers with a tough task for the second period.

St Helens continued their good work as they took only six minutes to add to their lead after the break, Mark Percival following up his own kick to score.

Percival went over again after good work by Mark Flanagan and when Walsh quickly added another try soon after following his kick through it was effectively game over.

Cas did show some spirit, however, and Jamie Ellis sent Marc Sneyd over for a try converted by Sneyd.

Sneyd then turned provider for Luke Dorn to cross for a try that was goaled by Sneyd.

Saints ended the scoring in the last minute when Walsh kicked a late penalty.

Scorers - St Helens: Tries Makinson, Wellens 2, Turner, Percival 2, Walsh; goals Walsh 5. Castleford: Tries Dixon, Sneyd, Dorn; goals Sneyd 2.

St Helens: Wellens; Makinson, Turner, Percival, Dawson; Hohaia, Walsh; Masoe, Roby, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Wilkin, Flanagan, Soliola. Subs: Manu, Richards, Thompson, Savelio.

Castleford: Dorn; Dixon, Webster, Shenton, Clare; Sneyd, Finn; Lynch, Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Millington. Subs: Massey, Mariano, Ellis, Jewitt.

Referee: Richard Silverwood

Half-time: 22-4.

Attendance: 12,648.