Castleford Tigers enjoy nine-try romp

Michael Shenton, who scored two tries for Castleford at London.
Michael Shenton, who scored two tries for Castleford at London.

Castleford Tigers enjoyed a nine-try trip to the capital as they ran out easy 54-6 winners against London Broncos.

Any fears over the short turnaround having an effect on their performance were dispelled as they were in command for the first 70 minutes before London had a bit of joy at the finish.

There was a real gulf in class between the two sides, especially when the Tigers went over for five tries in 19 minutes in the second half to emphasise their superiority.

Cas were already well in control by half-time as they led 24-0 after scoring two tries. They had two disallowed by marginal decisions as well and bombed a few chances so could have been further clear.

Early pressure told on the London defence as the first try came on 11 minutes when Weller Hauraki cleverly changed direction on an attack near the line and Daryl Clark sent Michael Channing over for a try against his former club

Jamie Ellis, in his first start of the season, was given kicking duties with Marc Sneyd on the bench and slotted the conversion.

Michael Shenton was denied a try correctly by the video referee after his foot just grazed the touchline as he dived over in the corner. But two minutes later the Tigers were on the prowl again with Oliver Holmes going over from Shenton’s unselfish pass in a move started by smart passes from Grant Millington and Ellis.

Shenton finally collected his deserved try - his 100th for Castleford - on the half-hour when he caught Liam Finn’s high kick and planted the ball down under the posts.

Just before that London had their best chances, but two pieces of good defensive work over his own line by James Clare - another making his first start of the season - ended the danger of probing kicks.

Shenton was back in the thick of the action on 32 minutes, racing away down the left touchline only to be hauled down just short of the line. Atelea Vea held him down too long, however, and was guilty of a professional foul that saw him sent to the sin-bin.

With an extra man Cas looked to take advantage and were unlucky when Clare was denied by the video referee in the most marginal of calls for touching the sideline in diving over.

But they scored their fourth try when Craig Huby had the ball stripped by Denny Solomona next to the try-line, but the ball popped out nicely for Finn to collect and touch down over the line. Ellis added his fourth goal of the half to make it 24-0.

Any hopes the Broncos had of staging a comeback were soon dashed after the break as the Tigers turned up the heat further.

Within five minutes they had another try on the board as the impressive Huby went over from Finn’s smart pass.

Six minutes later Justin Carney helped himself to a try after a Shenton break and from the next attack Luke Dorn scored against his old club following yet another burst forward by the captain.

After the restart went out on the full, Cas were quickly in their opponents’ half once more and substitute Sneyd put Shenton through a gap for his second of the night.

The Tigers stayed camped in the home half with Sneyd and Ellis kicks forcing drop-outs and the pressure told in the 64th minute when Carney grabbed his second try from Sneyd’s low kick over the line.

Ellis landed the conversion to complete a perfect kicking night for him with nine from nine and Cas were home and hosed at 54-0.

They could not add to their tally with the hosts having all of the possession in the closing stages. Great defence looked to be holding the Broncos out until Mike McMeeken barged over from close range for a consolation effort four minutes from time. Josh Drinkwater kicked the conversion to make the final score 54-6.

Scorers - London: Try McMeeken; goal Drinkwater. Castleford: Tries Channing, Holmes, Shenton 2, Finn, Huby, Carney 2, Dorn; goals Ellis 9.

London: Solomona; O’Callaghan, McMeeken, Caton-Brown, Macani; Farrar, Drinkwater; Greenwood, Moore, Krasniqi, Slyney, Cook, Foster. Subs: Vea, Griffin, Cunningham, Woodburn-Hall.

Castleford: Dorn; Clare, Channing, Shenton, Carney; Ellis, Finn; Lynch, Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Millington. Subs: Sneyd, Massey, Mariano, Fleming.

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Half-time: 0-24.

Attendance: 1,036.