Castleford under 19s game is called off

Ash Robson, who kicked four goals in Castleford under 19s' win over Huddersfield Giants.
Ash Robson, who kicked four goals in Castleford under 19s' win over Huddersfield Giants.

Castleford Tigers’ under 19s fixture against Warrington Wolves, due to be played on Saturday, has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for a later date to be confirmed.

The under 16s’ match against their Wakefield Wildcats counterparts at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle will still go ahead at 12 noon on Saturday.

Season tickets holders can enjoy this game for free. Non season ticket holders can come along for £3 adults and £1.50 concessions.

Tigers’ under 19s were in winning form last week when they beat Huddersfield Giants under 19s 28-16.

They opened the scoring after electing not to kick on the last tackle with captain Tom Holmes spreading the ball wide to Kieran Gill, who made two Giants defenders miss on his way to score.

A couple of penalties allowed the Tigers to move close to the Huddersfield try line and a short pass from Brandon Moore was met by charging prop forward Brandon Douglas who powered over to extend Castleford’s lead.

Huddersfield responded when a missed tackle out wide let their centre run clear through the line. He then passed inside and the Giants full-back ran clear of the chasing Tigers.

The Giants scored again soon after to tie the game. After a penalty allowed them to move deep into Castleford’s side of the field, a short pass from the play of the ball saw Huddersfield crashing over to score.

But as time was running down in the first half and Huddersfield were looking to score, Pat Diskin jumped out of the Castleford defensive line to intercept the ball and run the full length of the field to push Castleford ahead.

Midway through the second half, Castleford looked to have extended their lead after Ash Robson crossed but the touch judge called for a forward pass earlier in the play.

Cas did eventually extend their lead when Liam Blockley got the ball 10 metres out from the Huddersfield try line and pushed the Giants defence all the way until he scored.

Gill grabbed his second try of the game when Brandon Pickup passed wide to Will Cooke and with a two man overlap the Tigers flooded forward. Cooke then passed to Gill who with only the full-back to beat showed his pace and burnt him down the sideline before jogging inside to make the kick for Robson easier.

Late on the Giants managed to grab one back, but by then the game was already over.

Tigers: Robson, Sheehan, Blockley, Gill, Diskin, Howden, Holmes, Douglas, Moore, Maher, Cooke, Westerman, Cable. Subs: Dixon, Ineson, Pickup, Kershaw