Dorn’s day again as Castleford enjoy 11-try romp

Michael Channing, who scored two tries for Castleford Tigers against Hull KR.
Michael Channing, who scored two tries for Castleford Tigers against Hull KR.
Share this article

Castleford Tigers enjoyed an 11-try romp in the sunshine as they hammered Hull KR in an outstanding all-round display at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Full-back Luke Dorn led the way with a hat-trick of tries and the winning margin could have been even bigger as Marc Sneyd had a rare off day with the boot, missing six kicks at goal.

Hull KR did not help themselves with some woeful defence at times and they had prop Mick Weyman sent off on the hour for comments apparently made to referee Tim Roby.

But some of the scintillating attacking rugby played by the Tigers would have opened up any side and they looked sharp from the first whistle.

The way some great chasing and tackling forced a drop-out in the third minute indicated that Cas meant business and they were soon ahead as Dorn’s nicely timed pass sent the recalled Michael Channing over for the first try, which was converted by Sneyd.

Graeme Horne was denied a reply by referee Roby’s decision that an obstruction had occurred in the build-up and it was more or less one-way traffic for the rest of the first half.

Cas scored their second try on 10 minutes when Dorn went over after taking a great inside pass from Weller Hauraki.

Jamie Ellis then came up with a great 40-20 kick to keep the pressure on and a fine chase forced a drop-out soon after, although Rovers held out.

A big minute for Grant Millington turned the game definitely the Tigers’ way when he made a superb try-saving tackle on Kevin Larroyer then won the ball back for his team from the play the ball that followed. A penalty allowed the chance for the hosts to get up field again and off the sixth tackle Sneyd’s high kick was palmed down by Kirk Dixon for who else but Millington to snap up the ball to score.

Sneyd’s goal made it 16-0 and Cas did not look back really.

Dixon was next to go over after leaving Kris Welham for dead on a fine charge to the line before Channing grabbed his second try following an excellent move started by Daryl Clark and involving Jamie Ellis and Hauraki.

Another remarkable turnaround brought the Tigers their next score as one second Welham lost the ball in trying to reach out for Rovers’ first try then after a quick 20 metre tap-out by Dixon the ball was moved onto Dorn who raced almost 80 metres for a thrilling score.

Sneyd hit the post to miss his fourth conversion attempt, but the Tigers were well in control at 28-0 in front at half-time.

A Sneyd 40-20 kick gave Cas a great start to the second half, but the pressure came to nothing and it was the visitors who scored when Travis Burns wriggled over the line for a try he converted.

Any hopes they had of a comeback were quickly snuffed out, however. Only a forward pass by Clark to Dorn denied the hosts another try, but there were no errors when Ellis finished off the move of the game involving Hauraki, Dixon and Clark.

Dorn then raced clear to complete his hat-trick following Clark’s brilliant break and offload.

Rovers frustrations came to a head as Weyman was red carded for speaking out of turn and their misery was soon added to as Jake Webster collected Ellis’ kick to make it 44-6.

Two minutes later Clark came close to a spectacular solo try following a 50-metre break, but from the play the ball the Rovers defence was all over the place and Craig Huby had an easy job to score his side’s tenth try.

Sneyd’s goal brought the half century up and there was still time for another try as winger James Clare, who did a good job in Justin Carney’s absence, brushed off a weak attempted tackle to get himself on the scoresheet.

Rovers did have the late consolation of a try by Wayne Ulugia after he intercepted Millington’s pass, but they were well beaten.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Channing 2, Dorn 3, Millington, Dixon, Ellis, Webster, Huby, Clare; goals Sneyd 5. Hull KR: Tries Burns, Ulugia; goals Burns 2.

Castleford Tigers: Dorn; Dixon, Channing, Shenton, Clare; Sneyd, Ellis; Lynch, Milner, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Millington. Subs: Webster, Clark, Mariano, Wheeldon.

Hull KR: Cockayne; Gardner, Horne, Welham, Ulugia; Burns, Keating; A Walker, Hodgson, Weyman, Larroyer, Cox, Costigan. Subs: J Walker, Langley, Green, Lovegrove.

Referee: Tim Roby.

Half-time: 28-0.

Attendance: 7,196.