Ellis goal earns Castleford Tigers a draw in London

Jamie Ellis
Jamie Ellis

Castleford Tigers ended their 13-month away losing run, but needed a 79th minute goal from Jamie Ellis to earn a draw at London Broncos.

Daryl Powell’s men were happy to settle for a point from a 30-30 draw after trailing by 14 points with 10 minutes to go.

Tigers were unchanged after their excellent Magic Weekend victory over Wakefield, but could not match their display of the previous week as they were 16-10 down at the break and fell further behind in the second half before a storming comeback saw them almost snatch a first victory on opponents’ soil since Easter, 2012.

London took the lead after six minutes when Michael Witt’s pass sent James Medeika over.

Castleford hit straight back when winger Kirk Dixon broke and found hooker Daryl Clark in support to touch down under the posts.

The hosts were quickly back ahead when the impressive Craig Gower sent Scott Wheeldon over, but Cas replied again as Rangi Chase’s pass set powerhouse winger Justin Carney free and he was then on hand to take a return pass to go over for a try that made it 10-10.

The Tigers’ hopes of remaining level to the break were dashed, however, when Chris Melling charged over and Witt’s conversion took it to 16-10.

London extended their lead shortly after the restart through a Chris Bailey try only for Castleford hit back less than five minutes later when Grant Millington collected a Chase kick and went over.

But when Gower then scored to give the home team a 30-16 lead the Tigers were left with a mountain to climb.

To their credit, they kept going, though and 10 minutes from time were rewarded as Carney was set free on the wing and cut inside to score fine long range try.

Another followed soon after from Nathan Massey to set up a grandstand finish and when awarded a penalty with less than two minutes to play Cas opted to go for goal with Ellis sending the ball between the points to earn a 30-30 draw.

Scorers - London: Tries Mendeika, Wheeldon, Melling, Bailey, Gower; goals Witt 5. Castleford: Tries Clark, Chase, Millington, Carney, Massey; goals Ellis 5.

London: Dorn; Melling, Mendeika, Channing, Robertson; Witt, Gower; Wheeldon, Fisher, Clubb, Rodney, Bailey, Cook. Subs: Bryant, Krasniqi, Bishay, Kaufusi.

Castleford: Tansey; Carney, Thompson, Shenton, Dixon; Chase, Ellis; Millington, Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Massey. Subs: Walker, Milner, Fleming, Boyle.

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Half-time: 16-10.

Attendance: 1,810.