Hat-trick for Carney as Castleford enjoy 12-try romp

Justin Carney, who scored a hat-trick against London.
Justin Carney, who scored a hat-trick against London.

Castleford Tigers recovered from the shock of conceding two early tries to run out easy 64-18 winners over basement club London Broncos at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Justin Carney led the way with an eight minute first half hat-trick and Daryl Powell’s men went on to run in 12 tries with Marc Sneyd kicking eight goals.

A surprise briefly looked on the cards when London twice led in the first half and the Tigers were looking hesitant in defence.

Cas went close first when Ashley Gibson was tackled into touch inches short of the line, but the Broncos started brightly and after being denied a likely try when Adam Milner did well to chase back and collect a Denny Solomona kick on they did open the scoring on nine minutes.

Scott Moore and Josh Drinkwater combined to send Olis Krasniqi over and Drinkwater’s conversion made it 6-0.

Cas hit back four minutes later when quick thinking Kirk Dixon caught a Drinkwater high kick behind his own line and from his quick 20 metre tap he sent Luke Dorn galloping away, the former London full-back doing the rest on a near 80 metre sprint to the line for an exciting try converted by Marc Sneyd.

Sneyd came close to a try soon after when following up his own clever kick with the ball rolling agonisingly over the back line.

But back came the visitors to lead again when Erjon Dollapi went over from close range. Drinkwater goaled to make it 12-6.

It was level again on 25 minutes as Carney pounced on a loose ball to score from Liam Finn’s low kick and Sneyd converted.

Soon after Carney was in the thick of the action again, collecting Sneyd’s well judged kick and with Sneyd converting it was 18-12.

There was just no stopping Carney and he made it an eight minute hat-trick, taking several London players over the line with him on a bulldozing run down the wing.

With the last play of the first half Cas made it 28-12 as Scott Wheeldon finished well following a sniping run and clever pass by Jamie Ellis. Sneyd’s goal was after the hooter and the Tigers had finally established control.

They completely ran away with the game in the second half and it was one-way traffic after Michael Shenton showed good handling skills to take a Sneyd pass and race over for a try converted by Sneyd.

Garreth Carvell joined the party as he drove over for his first try in Cas colours then Frankie Mariano finished emphatically after taking Finn’s pass.

When Kirk Dixon caught Finn’s perfectly executed chip over for another try it seemed the Tigers were toying with their opponents.

Dorn’s second try ended a fine move from half-way and the 66-12 record win against London was in sight.

It did not quite come off, but Cas still managed two more tries in two minutes, Dixon going over from Ellis’s kick and Milner coming up with a great dummy and tremendous pace to finish the best move of the match.

London did manage a consolation try in the last minute with Mike McMeeken going over and Drinkwater kicked his third goal. But they were well beaten in the end.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Dorn 2, Carney 3, Wheeldon, Shenton, Carvell, Mariano, Dixon 2, Milner; goals Sneyd 8. London: Tries Krasniqi, Dollapi, McMeeken; goals Drinkwater 3.

Castleford Tigers: Dorn; Dixon, Gibson, Shenton, Carney; Sneyd, Finn; Jewitt, Milner, Huby, Holmes, Webster, Massey. Subs: Mariano, Wheeldon, Ellis, Carvell.

London: Farrar; Atkins, Minns, Mataitonga, Solomona; Keyes, Drinkwater; Slyney, Moore, Krasniqi, McMeeken, Vea, Cook. Subs: Wicks, Griffin, Wallace, Dollapi.

Referee: Joe Cobb.

Half-time: 28-12.

Attendance: 5,233.