Late rally is too late to prevent defeat for Castleford

Daryl Clark, who crossed for a try for Castleford Tigers against Huddersfield. Picture: IAN HARBER
Daryl Clark, who crossed for a try for Castleford Tigers against Huddersfield. Picture: IAN HARBER

Castleford Tigers suffered more Super League disappointment at home to Huddersfield Giants after being hit by a try burst of five tries in 17 minutes in the first half

Three tries in the last five minutes earned Ian Millward’s men some respectability, but a 40-24 defeat saw them stay rooted to the bottom of the table while in contrast the Giants went top and earned revenge for their mauling at the Cas ground last year.

Cas made a great start and went ahead in the third minute as Oliver Holmes showed great power to get over the line from Rangi Chase’s short pass.

Ellis goaled, but that was it as far as home points in the first 40 as what could go wrong did go wrong in a sorry spell when Huddersfield raced in for five tries in 17 minutes.

First, Shaun Lunt went over from acting half then Joe Wardle raced 80 metres to score after intercepting Jonathan Walker’s pass on a Tigers sixth tackle.

Aaron Murphy crossed for a third try after collecting a suspiciously forward looking pass from Brett Ferres and it was double damage as Chase was sin-binned for showing dissent to referee Phil Bentham following the lack of a decision from the officials.

While Chase was off the Giants took full advantage to score two more long range tries through Jermaine McGilvary and Luke Robinson and with Danny Brough converting both to take his tally up to four goals it was 28-6 at half-time.

The visitors continued their dominance into the second half when a second try for McGilvary and a score against his hometown club for Brett Ferres plus two more Brough goals made it 40-6.

But Huddersfield then eased up in the closing stages and found themselves down a man when Jamie Cording was sin-binned for a professional foul.

Cas missed several chances to score until they finally found a way through with Adam Milner burrowing over from acting half.

Ellis converted and was on target again two minutes later after Daryl Clark had raced over for another try.

Jonathan Walker made it three tries in four minutes off the back of a bit of magic by Chase and Ellis goaled, but it was too late to affect the result and the Giants were celebrating going top.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Holmes, Milner, Clark, Walker; goals Ellis 4. Huddersfield: Tries Lunt, Wardle, Murphy, McGilvary 2, Robinson, Ferres;goals Brough 6

Castleford; Tansey; Owen, Shenton, Gilmour, Thompson; Chase, Ellis; Walker, Milner, Mason, Massey, Hauraki, Holmes. Subs: Clark, Huby, Fleming, Boyle.

Huddersfield: Grix; McGilvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy; Brough, Robinson;Fielden, Lunt, Kopczak, Ferres, Lawrence, Ferguson. Subs: George, Faiumu, Patrick, Cording.

Referee: Phil Bentham.

Half-time: 6-28.

Attendance: 3,222.