More Easter woe for Castleford with Saints defeat

James Clare, who scored for Castleford Tigers in their defeat at St Helens.
James Clare, who scored for Castleford Tigers in their defeat at St Helens.

Castleford Tigers slumped to a sixth successive defeat as they were beaten 48-18 at St Helens.

It was the same story as against Wakefield on Friday with Ian Millward’s men second best in the opening half and already trailing 26-0 at the break.

They saved face somewhat with three second half tries, but remain bottom of the table.

Castleford’s defence was breached five times for tries in the first half with all of the scorers being forwards.

Mark Flanagan crashed over for the first by the posts. Justin Carney then produced a fine tackle to deny Flanagan a second, but Josh Perry, on his return from injury, made no mistake from close range as he barged over for his first-ever Saints try.

Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook prolonged the dominance of the Saints pack as he took a short pass and ran through three Tigers defenders to score a third try under the posts.

The procession continued as Paul Wellens put Joe Greenwood through for his first try and took a heavy tackle from former team-mate Michael Shenton in the process, an incident which referee Robert Hicks placed on report.

Cas almost got on the scoreboard when James Clare spotted a narrow gap on the right, but he was denied in the corner by a brilliant Makinson tackle.

Percival looked certain to add to Saints’ lead when he showed great footwork to cross on the left but he mystifyingly failed to touch down. But Saints did get a fifth before the interval after Wellens was stopped short and the ball was quickly reworked for Greenwood to dive over.

The hosts continued in much the same vain after the break as they punished a Castleford error. Greenwood scooped up a loose ball and sent Percival clear before Makinson finished off.

Swift then went over in the corner and with Percival converting for a fifth time, the game was as good as over at 38-0.

Cas, to their credit, managed to produce something in response as Daryl Clark and Carney broke from deep to go over in quick succession.

That prompted sarcastic chants of ‘We’re going to win the league’ from the Cas fans, but they were soon quietened when Perry forced his way over for another.

With Saints’ work done, they slackened off towards the end as Clare broke through to claim another Tigers consolation.

Jamie Ellis converted all three Tigers tries but Turner had the final say with a final try in the closing moments.

Scorers - St Helens: Tries Flanagan, Perry 2, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Greenwood 2, Makinson, Swift, Turner; goals Percival 6. Castleford: Tries Clark, Carney, Clare; goals Ellis 3.

St Helens: Makinson, Percival, Turner, Jones, Swift, Wellens, Wilkin, Perry, Howarth, Clough, Soliola, Flanagan, McCarthy-Scarsbrook. Subs: Laffranchi, Walmsley, Tilley, Greenwood.

Castleford: Tansey, Owen, Shenton, Carney, Clare, Chase, Ellis, Walker, Clark, Mason, Holmes, Thompson, Hauraki. Subs: Emmitt, Huby, Martin, Massey.

Referee: Robert Hicks

Half-time: 26-0

Attendance: 10,943.