Tigers outmuscled after kit mix-up

Tigers skipper Danny Orr scored a second-half try in Sunday's game against Huddersfield.
Tigers skipper Danny Orr scored a second-half try in Sunday's game against Huddersfield.

CASTLEFORD Tigers lost 40-18 to Huddersfield Giants after being outmuscled in Sunday’s Super League game at Halifax.

The match, originally due to start at 5:45pm, was delayed by 25 minutes due to Sky TV technical problems and a kit mix-up. It was eventually sorted when the Tigers were given Halifax’s kit to play in, preventing a clash which would have seen both teams playing in white.

Stand-off Leroy Cudjoe scored twice and made another as Huddersfield won the first of three matches at their temporary home at the Shay Stadium while their own ground is being resurfaced.

Eorl Crabtree, David Hodgson, Lee Gilmour, Jermaine McGillvary and David Fa’alogo also scored tries for the Giants.

Richard Owen crossed twice and Danny Orr also went over in response for Castleford.

When the game finally got under way at 6:10pm, it exploded into life.

Cudjoe had the Giants ahead inside four minutes with a converted try from Scott Grix’s final pass.

Owen quickly replied for Castleford by polishing off a flowing move involving Rangy Chase and Orr to register his sixth try of the season.

Huddersfield’s Halifax-born former Castleford star Luke Robinson, making his 100th Giants appearance, then set up two converted tries to leave them 18-6 ahead at the break.

He first set up Crabtree on 25 minutes, and then sold a brilliant dummy to romp clear seven minutes later before putting in Cudjoe for his second of the match.

Danny Brough converted all three tries.

Huddersfield turned the screw in the second half. Hodgson bagged his sixth try in five games from Cudjoe’s pass just after the restart.

Robinson set up Lee Gilmour for a converted try after 51 minutes. The chance was created by Brough’s expert 40-20 kick.

Brough, though, was later carried off with a suspected ankle injury, and the England international may now be an injury doubt for Friday’s match against the Exiles at Headingley.

The Giants were reduced to 12 men after 55 minutes when McGillvary was sin-binned for kicking the ball away.

Orr and Owen replied late on for Castleford. But Huddersfield had the last word with late tries from McGillvary and Fa’alogo. Cudjoe twice converted in Brough’s absence.