Tigers snatch last-gasp win in thrilling clash

editorial image

CASTLEFORD Tigers ended their losing run in Super League by snatching a dramatic 34-30 win over Hull KR with a last-minute try from winger Nick Youngquest in Friday night's pulsating clash at Probiz Coliseum.

The Tigers looked to be heading for their eighth successive defeat when they trailed 30-22, but they staged a great recovery to achieve their first home win of the season.

Rangi Chase (pictured) was in outstanding form. He had a hand or boot in five of Castleford's six tries.

Hull KR's defeat was particularly hard on centre Kris Welham, who scored three tries.

The Tigers recalled Daryl Clark and on-loan Lee Mitchell with Clark replacing hooker Ryan Hudson (calf injury) and Mitchell taking over at centre from Australian James Grehan. Castleford were again without centre Joe Arundel (shoulder injury).

Mitchell lost the ball in Castleford's first set and Rovers quickly capitalised when Michael Dobson put in Welham near the corner for a second-minute try.

The visitors nearly scored again two minutes later when Liam Salter narrowly failed to touch down Scott Murrell's clever kick.

Castleford hit back to snatch a seventh-minute lead when Rangi Chase bamboozled Hull KR's defence with a diagonal run to set up winger Josh Griffin's ninth try of the season that Kirk Dixon converted from the touchline.

The Tigers then had a let off when Dobson created an opening for Graeme Horne who dropped the ball over the tryline after Chase's ambitious pass had gifted Hull KR possession.

With Dobson dictating play, Hull KR continued to look the sharper side and it was no surprise when they regained the lead.

The Tigers were again punished for losing the ball in the 19th minute when Dobson and Shannon McDonnell sent in Welham for his second try that Dobson goaled.

David Hodgson then went close to scoring from Dobson's high kick as Castleford were pinned in their own 20.

Castleford did well to survive further Hull KR pressure before they went back in front in the 33rd minute when Chase's inch-perfect kick to the corner created a try for Youngquest and Dixon added his second touchline goal.

Rovers were rocked again five minutes later when Chase and Brett Ferres combined to send in full-back Richard Owen for a try that Dixon goaled to put the Tigers 18-10 up.

Hull KR cut the gap to two points on the stroke of half-time when McDonnell put in Josh Hodgson and Dobson converted.

The game swung back Rovers way in the second half when Owen failed to deal with Murrell's high kick and the ball was scooped up by McDonnell, whose pass saw Welham complete his hat-trick.

They soon shot further ahead when Lincoln Withers darted over and Dobson kicked his fourth goal to make it 28-18, but Castleford hit back when Chase's long pass sent Dixon tearing over.

Dobson's 59th-minute penalty goal gave Hull KR an eight-point cushion but the Tigers struck back again two minutes later when Steve Snitch crossed and Dixon added the conversion.

McDonnell looked to have rescued Rovers with a magnificent tackle on Owen before Owen put in Youngquest for his last-gasp winner that Dixon goaled.