Tigers suffer nine-try mauling

editorial image

Former Castleford centre Joe Arundel (pictured) bagged three tries as Hull FC thrashed Castleford Tigers 52-0 in Friday’s game at KC Stadium.

The Tigers are still looking for their first away win this season in Super League.

Tries in the first 10 minutes from Richard Horne and Arundel gave Hull an ideal start and winger Tom Lineham added two more tries before the break.

Second-half scores from Arundel and Lineham followed, before fighting resulted in Hull’s Danny Tickle and Tigers’ Weller Hauraki being sent off.

Hull took an early lead when the Castleford backs allowed a Daniel Holdsworth high bomb to bounce and Horne was on hand to cross in the right corner.

Two minutes later a good Horne kick and another Cas error saw centre Arundel touch down in almost the same place, with Danny Tickle converting both scores.

A poor Rangi Chase pass, dropped by Castleford’s Australian winger Justin Carney, gave Hull youngster Lineham an easy score shortly after the half hour.

The Castleford backs failed to deal with another Holdsworth bomb soon afterwards, allowing Lineham to pick up and cross again soon afterwards.

Horne’s short pass put Arundel through a gap and over the line immediately after the break, and Lineham then took advantage of a fortunate rebound to make it a personal hat-trick.

Fighting broke out after a bad tackle by Hauraki, with Tickle, Chase, Carney and Mark O’Meley among the most serious offenders.

Tickle and Hauraki were sent off by referee Steve Ganson, with Carney fortunate to be only sent to the sin-bin with O’Meley.

With both sides down to 11, Arundel joined Lineham in scoring a personal hat-trick before Danny Houghton and prop Josh Bowden brought up the half-century of points.

Hull FC: Galea, Tickle, Westerman, Lynch, McDonnell, Lynch, Lineham, Arundel, Yeaman, Briscoe, Houghton, O’Meley, Horne, Holdsworth. Subs: Watts, Bowden, Heremaia, Whiting.

Castleford Tigers: Holmes, Hauraki, Millington, Huby, Tansey, Carney, Shenton, Clare, Dixon, Milner, Massey, Ellis, Chase. Subs: Mason, Clark, Emmitt, Thompson.

Referee: Steve Ganson.