Tigers win opener after adapting superbly on snow-covered pitch

editorial image

CASTLEFORD Tigers made a flying start to their Stobart Super League campaign with an 24-10 victory over Salford City Reds in tonight's match at snow-bound City of Salford Stadium.

Richard Owen (pictured) scored two tries and Josh Griffin and Adam Milner also crossed as Castleford deservedly came out on top after giving a top-notch display at Salford's new ground.

The Tigers, playing their first competitive match under new coach Ian Millward, adapted far better to the dreadful conditions than their opponents, impressing with their kick and chase game.

They defended magnificently and were also often more adventurous with their handling, although that inevitably led to handling errors .

A 36th minute try by full-back Owen gave them a 6-4 interval lead.

Salford lost ex-Tigers hooker Wayne Goodwin in the early stages with a rib cartlilage injury before Castleford's Kirk Dixon had an eighth minute touchdown disallowed because Owen's pass was forward.

Salford survived further Tigers pressure before they snatched a 16th minute lead.

Castleford lost possession when Rangi Chase appeared to have the ball ripped out in a two-man tackle and Salford capitalised on the attacking position when Matty Smith cleverly darted over.

Castleford substitute Steve Nash was halted just short before Adam Milner had an effort ruled out by the video referee Phil Bentham after being prevented from grounding the ball.

At the other end, Salford's Daniel Holdsworth had a try chalked off because Tigers centre Joe Arundel was obstructed in the build up.

Castleford then snatched the lead shortly before half-time when half-backs Danny Orr and Chase sent in Owen for a try that Dixon goaled.

The Tigers went further ahead five minutes into the second-half with a superbly-worked try.

Daryl Clark made a great break from dummy half and Owen continued the move with a well-judged kick. Griffin kept his cool by hacking the ball on to bag a touchdown that Dixon converted with a magnificent kick.

Salford rallied strongly but were foiled by Castleford's solid defence.

The Tigers struck an important blow in the 66th minute when Chase's clever chip kick set up a try for Milner that Dixon goaled.

Five minutes from time, Smith put in Matty Ashurst for Salford's second try that Holdsworth improved but the Tigers sealed victory two minutes later when Chase's pass made the opening for Owen's second score and Dixon tagged on his fourth goal.