Featherstone’s top-four bid jolted by another Blackpool bashing

Two tries by John Davies were in vain for Rovers against London.
Two tries by John Davies were in vain for Rovers against London.

FEATHERSTONE’S Summer Bash hoodoo continued when their six-match winning run ended with a 42-16 defeat against Kingstone Press Championship top-four rivals London Broncos at Blackpool on Saturday.

Rovers, who lost 31-12 to Leigh Centurions at the inaugural Summer Bash in 2015 and were trounced 37-0 by Halifax last year, never fully recovered after being 12-0 down after 10 minutes.

French international William Barthau scored a try and set up three more as the Broncos avenged last month’s 38-18 loss at Featherstone.

John Davies’ two tries were vain for Rovers who were outplayed after giving an error-ridden display.

Barthau’s grubber kick created a fifth minute try for half-back partner Jarrod Sammut and Barthau quickly struck again when another clever kick saw Alex Walker score and Kieran Dixon added his second goal.

Rovers struggled to put their game together and nearly fell further behind when Daniel Harrison hacked on a loose ball but Walker was unable to gather it.

London’s domination continued and Dixon edged them further ahead with a 26th minute penalty goal.

Davies lost the ball just short of the line as Rovers tried to get back in the game.

Darrell Griffin was then held up over the try line as the Broncos did well to survive further Featherstone pressure before half-time.

Rovers made the start to the second-half they needed when Davies plunged over from close range from Matty Wildie’s pass and Cory Aston converted to cut the gap to eight points but the Broncos quickly regained control with two tries in three minutes.

Rovers were punished for losing the ball when Andrew Ackers scored and Barthau’s high kick created then Walker’s second touchdown to put the Broncos 22-6 up. Featherstone’s Ian Hardman and London’s Elliot Kear were sin-binned after a 56th minute flare-up before Walker sent in ex-Rovers player Michael Channing.

Briscoe made the opening for Scott Turner to cross and Davies grabbed his second try two minutes later to give Rovers hope but they finished well beaten.

They lost Turner with an ankle injury before London rounded off their sixth straight win with a 75 yard try from Barthau and a late effort from Dixon who kicked his seventh goal.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Turner, Walton, Taulapapa, Briscoe; Thackeray, Aston; Cooper, Carlile, Moore, Mariano, Davies, Lockwood. Subs: Wildie, Griffin, Tagg, Ormondroyd.

London Broncos: Walker; Williams, Kear, Channing, Dixon; Sammut, Barthau; Evans, Cunningham, Ioane, Harrison, Pitts, Offerdahl. Subs: Ackers, Garside, Roqica, Bienek.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.