Rovers bag sixth straight win with strong finish against Eagles

Jamie Cording plunges over for a try in Featherstone's 28-16 win  against Sheffield. Picture: Lorne Mosley.
Jamie Cording plunges over for a try in Featherstone's 28-16 win against Sheffield. Picture: Lorne Mosley.

Featherstone Rovers stepped up their Championship top-four bid with an impressive 28-16 win over Sheffield Eagles at Big Fellas Stadium on Friday night.

Jamie Cording grabbbed two tries and former Sheffield player Kyle Briggs scored a try and kicked four goals as in-form Rovers recorded their sixth successive win.

They sealed victory with two tries in the last four minutes as they surged four points clear of top-four rivals Sheffield who have lost four of their last five league matches.

Rovers defended magnificently to keep Sheffield scoreless in the second-half after the teams were locked at 16-16 at half-time.

Featherstone took a second minute lead when Briggs and Ian Hardman put in former Eagles centre Misi Taulapapa but Sheffield hit back with two tries in four minutes.

Quentin Laulu-Togagae sent in Rob Worrincy at the corner before Ben Blackmore’s superb break led to Laulu-Togagae going in for a try that Michael Knowles goaled.

Rovers replied in the 15th minute when Andy Ellis forced his way over from acting half and they then levelled with a Briggs penalty.

Blackmore was sin-binned after a 27th minute flare up and Featherstone quickly capitalised on the extra man.

Briggs was halted inches short before he sent Jamie Cording racing over.

Sheffield’s Menzie Yere had an effort ruled out before the Eagles made it 16-16 in the 34th minute when Keal Carlile plunged over from acting half and Knowles converted.

Rovers did well to survive an Eagles onslaught early inn the second-half.

Sheffield spruned two kickable penalties before Briggs edged Rovers back in front with a 64th minute penalty.

He was in target again with another penalty nine minutes later.

Briggs then scored a superb solo try before Taulapapa sent Cording for his second in the final minute to clinch victory.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Johnson, Tagg, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Craven; Griffin, Ellis, Bostock, Cording, Davies, Spears. Subs: Ormondroyd, Achurch, Baldwinson, Roche.

Sheffield Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Worrincy, Yere, Straughier, Blackmore; Aston, Hewitt; Thorpe, Carlile, Neal, Knowles, Wheeldon, Fozard. Subs: Jacks, James, Minchella, Stringer.

Referee: Mike Woodhead (St Helens).

Attendance: 2,052.