Lock Lane pay penalty in shock Challenge Cup exit

Nicky Saxton scores Lock Lane's first try in Saturday's cup game against Normanton Knights Picture: Matthew Merrick.
Nicky Saxton scores Lock Lane's first try in Saturday's cup game against Normanton Knights Picture: Matthew Merrick.
Share this article

Lock Lane bowed out of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup with a shock first round home defeat against neighbours Normanton Knights on Saturday.

The Castleford side were pipped 15-14 after being sunk by a late drop goal.

A large crowd of around 600, boosted by the postponement of many local games due to the wet weather, saw a full blooded cup tie that was in the balance until the final whistle.

Normanton’s superior defence and discipline proved the difference between the teams after the visitors dominated the first half.

Three successive penalties saw the Knights gain early territory and Lane conceded a soft try after five minutes when Normanton hooker Chris Woolford went over from acting half, despite appearing to bounce the ball.

Scrum half Adrian Mulcahy added the goal to make it 6-0.

After a scratchy opening 20 minute period, Lane opened their account on 21 minutes when neat footwork fron centre Nicky Saxton saw him dive over.

Scrum half Nathan Fozzard kicked an angled goal to level the scores.

Two late penalties on 36 and 38 minutes from Mulcahy saw Normanton go in at the break 10-6 ahead.

Lane started the second-half much better and from a set move in the first minute, substitute Danny Holmes barged his way over to score beneath the sticks. Fozzard goaled to make it 12-10 and give Lane the lead for the only time.

Six minutes later, after a conceding another penalty in their own half, Lane yet again let Normanton score from acting half when substitute Tom Carroll stretched over.

On 68 minutes, after spurning two previous kickable chances, Fozzard landed a penalty for Lock Lane, at the side of the posts, to level the scores at 14-14.

Lane had a few tilts at the Normanton line but poor attacking options by them and magnificent swarming defence from the the visitors kept them at bay.

The larger Normanton pack comfortably managed to escape their own half to ease the pressure.

With six minutes left, Normanton stand off Tom Alexander landed a drop goal just inside the left hand post to give the Knights the lead.

Lane could not apply enough pressure on the the Knights defence to make it buckle in the final minutes and the visitors celebrated a famous win at the final whistle.

Best for Lock Lane were loose forward Chris Siddons, hooker Paul Brown and second rower Luke Tagg.

Lane were left to rue missing three golden second half chances with the tryline begging but conceding 20 penalties in the game and having three players sinbinned and one dismissed late on, aided considerably to their defeat.

Lane will play Castleford Panthers at home on February 15 (2pm kick off) in the annual memorial trophy match in memory of club stalwarts Brian Lloyd and Dave Arundel.