Marginet grabs hat-trick as Rovers overcome Rams

editorial image

Scrum half Remy Marginet scored a hat-trick of tries as Featherstone Rovers recorded a 38-28 victory over Dewsbury Rams to move fourth in the Kingstone Press Championship.

The sides went into the break locked at 20-20 following a breathless first half but Rovers prevailed as they capitalised on Rams errors to run out worthy winners.

Scott Hale gave Dewsbury a sixth minute lead with a try which Kieran Hyde converted but former Ram Andy Bostock replied for Rovers and Paul Sykes goaled.

Anthony Thackeray jinked over and Tom Hemingway converted to put the Rams back in front but Rovers winger Will Sharp raced in at the left corner for an unconverted try.

Featherstone took control as Marginet crossed for two tries in as many minutes and with Sykes converting the first, the visitors led 20-12.

Hyde landed a 38th minute penalty and Dewsbury drew level in a dramatic end to the first half.

As the hooter sounded, Rovers dropped the ball. Hyde gathered and kicked through from the free play, with Dalton Grant winning the race to gather and dive over. Hyde converted and then edged Dewsbury ahead with an early second half penalty.

Rovers then took a firm grip on the game as Sykes raced through and lopped a lovely pass over to send Marginet over for hit hat-trick.

Marginet took over the kicking duties and landed the goal.

Will Milner pounced on a kick to the in-goal area and Marginet converted and then landed a penalty to put Rovers 34-22 ahead.

Sykes and full-back Jy Hitchcox linked to send Jamie Cording over for Rovers seventh try to put the result beyond doubt.

Hemingway replied with a consolation try for the Rams, which Hyde improved, but it was Rovers who celebrated at the final hooter.

Dewsbury Rams Hyde; Morton, Crookes, Grady, Grant; Wildie, Thackeray; Haggarty, Hemingway, Hepworth, Spicer, Hale, Brown. Subs: Godwin, Jackson, T Adamson, Aizue.

Featherstone Rovers: Hitchcox; Blackmore, Hardman, Chappell, Sharp; Baldwinson, Irwin, Bostock, Cording, Foster, Spears. Subs: Milner, Wood, James, Ormondroyd.

Referee: Warren Turley.

Attendance: 1.798