Missed chances costly for Rockware

ROB Firth makes a surging run for Castleford Panthers in Saturday's match at Upton. PICTURE: MATTHEW MERRICK.
ROB Firth makes a surging run for Castleford Panthers in Saturday's match at Upton. PICTURE: MATTHEW MERRICK.

KNOTTINGLEY Rockware’s magnificent fightback fell narrowly short in Saturday’s Pennine League Championship game at King Cross Park.

Rockware were pipped 24-22 after making a dreadful start.

King Cross initially adapted better to the bad conditions to shoot into an 18-0 lead after just 20 minutes.

Rockware stormed back to cut the half-time gap to six points with tries from Jarrett and Taylor, plus two Parish goals.

The visitors fell 24-12 behind in the second-half after being handicapped by controversial refereeing decisions but they finished the stronger side.

Tries from Barnaby and fit again Fradgely and a Parish goal put them just two points behind but with time running out they missed two gilt-edged chances to win the game.

Best for Rockware in a poor team display were MOM Jarrett, Jones and Simpson. The Knottingley side are grateful to Eric Prince Pallets for their match sponsorship.

Castleford Panthers were pipped 22-20 in the dying seconds by Division One leaders Upton.

The Cas side, strengthened by the inclusion of new players from teams who recently fulfilled summer league commitments, looked handily placed when a 78th minute try put them 20-16 ahead.

But Upton snatched victory with the last attack of the game when a clever break by Lee Mears saw Nick Welsh dive over at the corner and add the winning conversion.

Both teams had a player sin-binned in the early stages before Panthers scored the opening try.

Upton levelled when good work by Matty Cowling and Craig Brown led to Steve Beal’s chip setting up a try for Sam Parkin that Beal goaled from the touchline.

The referee then sin-binned another player from each side before Panthers scored again to lead 8-6 at the break.

In the second period, Upton’s Craig Shipley grabbed a touchdown that Welsh improved but Panthers regained the lead with a converted try.

In a frantic last four minutes, Shipley bagged his second try to put Upton 16-14 ahead and Panthers quickly replied with a converted score before Welsh went in for a last gasp winner. Shipley was Upton’s MOM, closely followed by Welsh and Parkin.

Methley Royals maintained their Division One title bid with a 56-30 win against Newsome Panthers.

The second-placed team had too much power up front for their Huddersfield opponents who struggled to contain MOM Adam Biscomb, Dave Gordon, Reece Willshaw, debutant Steve Scott, Jake Turner and Lee Starbuck.

John Hughes, Stu Biscomb and Jarred Willshaw were also key contributors

With debutant Andy Speake and half-back partner Matty Handforth pulling the strings, Dave Williams, Sam Payne, Alan White, James Rawson, Kris Ward and Matty Jackson had plenty of opportunities to show their silky skills.

White scored Methley’s open try. Starbuck, Scott, Speake, Adam Biscomb – from long range – and Turner, also crossed and Payne kicked four goals to make it 32-6 at half-time.

In the second-half, Reece Willshaw twice forced his way over from dummy half, Speake and Gordon also raced in and Payne landed his eighth goal.

However, after losing Handforth and Starbuck with minor leg injuries, Methley eased up and Newsome capitalised by scoring four late tries.

On Saturday, Methley first team travel to Division One derby rivals Allerton Bywater and the reformed second team play a friendly at Beeston Broncos.