Mixed luck for Methley in cup ties

Methley's Sam Payne bagged his 1,000th career point on Saturday. Picture: Kris Whitfield.
Methley's Sam Payne bagged his 1,000th career point on Saturday. Picture: Kris Whitfield.

Methley Royals’ two games on Saturday finished with the same 40-12 scoreline but with contrasting fortunes for the first and second teams in the quarter-finals of the Castleford and Featherstone ARL’s David Poulter Open Cup.

The senior side reached the semi-finals by beating Kellingley Welfare at Castleford Panthers, while the Royals A team lost to Sherburn Bears at Pinfold Lane.

Methley’s success over Kellingley was particularly memorable for captain Sam Payne, who became the first player in the Royals’ six-year history to total 1,000 career points.

Payne went into the match with 994 to his name, and edged closer to the coveted milestone with his conversion of an early try by winger Andy Matthews.

The skipper then hit four figures with a trademark solo try on 10 minutes, before closing with 16 points by adding another five goals.

Loose forward Steve Scott bagged a brace before the break, while full-back Jon Paul Briers claimed a stylish score to help Methley to a 30-point lead on 35 minutes.

Kellingley, to their credit, had the better of the contest from that point, closing the opening period with a try and goal by Gaz Lightowler.

Matthews added his second try six minutes into the second half, and pulled off a sensational cover tackle to deny the Welfare a certain touchdown, having staged a similar effort in the first half.

Methley substitute Tommy Skerrett, who was making his first appearance for three years, grabbed a try as the game headed into the final quarter, but Kellingley had the last word with another converted touchdown for Lightowler.

Methley `A’, meanwhile, were 6-4 ahead against Sherburn at the break, loose forward Joel Penny having notched an 80-metre touchdown which centre Craig Lewis Jones improved.

The Royals, however, lost impetus as the contest progressed.

Their only further points came from debutant Paul Watson’s second-half try that Jones again improved.

Sherburn rested several of their first choice players for Saturday’s match and rotated their squad to try to keep everyone match fit and fresh.

The players that came in soon realised they had a task on their hands in the first-half.

The Bears had to work hard to contain the Methley forwards especially their powerful front row.

There were good defensive stints from Sherburn’s Dan Bottomley, Scott Hudson, Shaun Crossland and captain Ray Boyes.

Kevin Dalton, Connor Parker, Mick Rudge, Mike Dalton and Rhys Hughes ran strongly. However, Sherburn failed to snap up a string of chances before Martin Leahy’s superb crossfield kick saw centre Rob Hollins brilliantly out leap everyone to score in the corner.

Penny’s converted try gave Methley a two-point interval lead but Sherburn took control in the second period.

Winger Ryan Smith crossed for Sherburn’s second try just three minutes into the half after a great downfield kick from Leahy.

The Bears increased their lead when loose forward Crossland crashed over.

Sherburn were now starting to get into their stride and Methley’s confidence was visibly wilting in the face of the fast rugby the Bears were serving up.

Hollins bagged a well worked try after good play between Leahy, coach Kev Jordan and Ben Pugh.

Jordan then rolled back the years by dummying and stepping his way over.

Still the Bears weren’t finished as they switched the play from Methley’s left to right flank with Pugh sending in Hollins.

Sherburn completed the scoring when full-back Pugh scored a well taken try and Leahy kicked his sixth goal.

Best for the Bears in a good second half display was Yorkshire Laser man of the match Hollins, captain Boyes and hooker Bottomley who was top tackler with 32.

Methley were grateful to Castleford Panthers and Castleford RUFC for making their facilities available.

The Royals were unable to play at Savile Park because Methley United soccer team, with whom they ground-share, had already been designated a fixture.

The draw for the David Poultrer Open Cup semi-finals will be made at the next league meeting on Tuesday, December 3.

Chequerfield Rangers are also through to the semi-finals.

Brotherton’s home quarterfinal against Allerton Bywater last weekend was postponed.