Ragged Rovers suffer second-half collapse

Andy Hay: " We let Leigh get on a roll and they scored some very soft tries."
Andy Hay: " We let Leigh get on a roll and they scored some very soft tries."

Featherstone Rovers slumped to their second home defeat after a second-half collapse in Sunday’s 40-6 drubbing against Leigh Centurions.

In a repeat of their 40-4 home trouncing against Bradford Bulls earlier this month, part-timers Rovers came up woefully short against full-time opponents.

Rovers, whose four defeats against Leigh last season included the Championship Grand Final, competed superbly in the first-half to lead 6-4 at half-time but their defence was ripped to shreds in the second period.

Liam Kay and Tom Armstrong each scored two tries as leaders Leigh maintained their 100 per cent record this season with their 15th straight win, a run that stretches back to last July.

Rovers coach Andy Hay said: “Our energy and desire was there in the first-half. Leigh really tested us in the first 40 minutes and we managed to get back in numbers and showed some strong defence.

“But in the second-half we totally went away from that. It was a poor performance in the second period especially from some of the guys in the middle of the field. We let Leigh get on a roll and they scored some very soft tries.”

The Centurions went ahead when Ryan Brierley, Greg McNally and Tom Armstrong sent in Kay.

Rovers hit back when substitute Andy Bostock, with his first touch, made a great run that led to Nathan Chappell scoring a 29th minute try that Paul Sykes goaled but it all went wrong for Featherstone after half-time.

They failed to deal wth Martyn Ridyard’s kick downfield and Kay hacked the ball on for Armstrong to score.

Jy Hitchcox and Alex Foster foiled Ridyard with a superb double tackle in the try line but shortly afterwards Tommy Goulden went over.

Kurt Haggerty then forced his way tthrough to score before Ridyard and Haggerty set up Armstrong’s second.

Michael Platt finished the best move of the game as Leigh turned in the style.

Kay crossed for his second and Brierley completed the rout with a length of field interception try.

Featherstone Rovers: Sharp; Hitchcox, Chappell, Sykes, Johnstone; Marginet, Irwin; Baldwinson, Ellis, Wood, Cording, Foster, Spears. Subs: Teasdale, Bostock, James, Tonks.

Leigh Centurions: McNally; Pownall, Platt, Armstrong, Kay; Ridyard, Brierley, Moimoi, Penkywicz, Acton, Haggerty, Goulden, Barlow. Subs: Beswick, Wilkes, Hopkins, Emmitt.

Referee: Chris Leatherbarrow (Warrington).

Attendance: 2,695.